Monday, September 10, 2007

Jack and the Giant Peach

Yup, peaches. Last weekend I canned 36 quarts of peaches and another 6 quarts of peach pie filling. I also went completely insane and bottled 12 half-pints of zucchini relish. I should have tackled the peach jam while I was in the midst of the disaster, but I held off because I couldn't feel the lower half of my body after 6pm. I told myself that I would do the jam today, but as usual, the kids couldn't stand the thought of having to play by themselves...

I wish that I could just think of a really good recipe that needed 30 peaches just smashed up fresh...can you possibly eat that many smoothies for breakfast? It would be much easier than doing the jam, but I will regret it in the middle of winter when I am dying for a piece of fruit that doesn't taste like a cardboard box.

And here is where my wish for the "job fairy" comes in--about once a week (sometimes thrice) I lie down on my bed after the kids have gone to bed and I begin to wish so hard that I could just go to bed and when I wake up....poof...the bad job has been completed. Most nights I am wishing for the dishes. I loathe doing the dishes. Tonight, I am wishing for the peach jam fairy and if possible maybe she could throw in a couple loads of laundry while they are processing. Alas, probably won't happen. Guess I'll have to hold my breath and see if Jeff will take one for the team.

I also wanted to mention that I received the book, "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyer for my birthday. I have to admit that when I first got it I was VERY skeptical. I love to read, but generally do not read fiction--let alone a story about a girl who falls in love with a vampire!!?? Even worse--sci-fi--aauuggh! BUT, I am saying stop the presses...I LOVED IT. I loved it so much that I stayed up until midnight last night because I HAD to know how it ended. It absolutely killed me not to flip to the ending. I used up all my remaining willpower and it was worth it! In all seriousness, this book is in my top five. And I plan to re-read it--maybe this week. Erica, this is a must read for you. I already told Susie that I would read, "The Confessions of Charlottle Doyle" if she would read this one. Holy crap, can you believe it? The only thing I can say is that once you start you better be ready to pull in a couple of late nights because you won't be able to put it down...and you can take that to the bank!

P.S. I love you Edward Cullens. :)

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Girl I hear you. The next book in the series is New Moon, which I checked out from the library. Now I think I might have to go buy the newest one, Eclipse. It is way addicting. If you want even more to read click here:
http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/otherprojects_midnightsun.html
It is the first chapter of Twilight from Edward's perspective. Hello!!! I am a sucker for this series. And I agree on the late nights.

Jeff and Rose said...

Amanda,
Oh, I just found out this morning that it is a series...praise heaven! I have already been to her website and read the preludes from the next two books. Thanks for the tip on the Edward stuff- I will check it out immediately. BTW-be grateful you live in a big city--there is a waiting list at all the libraries in town (40 people??). It looks like I will be making some credit charges this week. P.S. I miss you.

Erica said...

Thanks for the recommendation! Unlike you, I am a sucker for a good fiction novel. HELLO Harry Potter! If you need something to make w/ the peaches I have a great peach/raspberry crumble recipe. Perhaps we could do a trade?... My recipe for some peach jam?

Anonymous said...

Hi Rose!
I love checking in on you guys and reading your funny posts! I know just you are saying about twilight - I completely neglected Ruby for days while I read the entire series!

Jennie said...

hi there! i found your blog through emily huber...

anyway... i also LOVE twilight! so so so good!

enjoy new moon and eclipse too... they are also very good!