Monday, February 18, 2008

A Full Recovery

Jack is doing much better. He has finished the antibiotics and one of his steriod treatments. I actually didn't even get him up in the night for one of his asthma treatments--he was sleeping so soundly that I just couldn't do it. Yeah, I'm not going to mention that to Dr. V, but it didn't seem to hurt him. He is back to running around, head-butting his sister. He does sit down and have a breather when he gets too wound up. It makes him tired and winded pretty quickly. I think that this will continue to improve over the next week. If we can get through this week, we'll be in the clear. He still has a pretty good cough and runny nose and I really want to see that go for good.

Okay, so I never thought that I would say this, but I joined the Disney Movie Club. aauuggh. Yeah, it's basically a throwback to the old Columbia House and BMG that we all belonged to in the early 90s. I got 5 Disney movies for $30! That is a screamin' deal. I can't believe what they usually cost--even at Wal-Star. We don't own any because I can't bring myself to pay $20 for a DVD??!! Come on, already. Also, my kids don't watch television. They won't...I've tried to get them to watch the basics, Sesame Street, Barney, Wiggles, WonderPets--there was a time when we first got L that she liked to watch the Baby Einstein animal series, but it was short-lived.

Now, when the kids go to Aunt Susie's house they catch glimpses of Dora and Diego and Disney movies...the TV is always on because Sierra loves it as much as her mother. I watch Suz accomplish major tasks while her daughter sits nearly comatose on the couch watching a talking backpack...hum, there is a fine line here...I like that my children would rather read a book than watch TV, BUT oh, holy lovely day, if they would just watch a 30-minute show while I got something finished! So, I am plugging in Cinderella and just having L and J watch the songs and the dancing. Jeff and I really play it up and have them dance along to the music. They dig it, but as soon as the songs are over they want to "Get down" and then they run away. Oh, and L told me that the Sea Witch in Little Mermaid was too scary. You win some, and you lose some.

The good news is that I only order the movies that I like and it has been fun to watch them again. I generally don't do cartoons, but how can you not love Blackbeard's Ghost? At any rate, the marketing people at Disney will be wondering what a 30-something lady is doing with her life when she is continually ordering hits like, "The Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit," "Flubber," "Snowball Express," and "Thomasina." Oh, and P.S. there will be no Old Yeller in this house, oh, and no Bambi either. Two of the worst animal movies ever made--I really don't need to explain why Yeller doesn't come back from the corn crib and Bambi's mom's head is hanging in some living room. Yeah, we're going to stick to mice that sew dresses and cats that sing the blues in this house.

6 comments:

Becca Hatch said...

TV is the only reason I ever get a shower.

Amanda said...

A fine line... I agree. I hate teletubbies (who comes up with that wacked out stuff... and do I really want my kid watching it?? It seems harmless...) but that is about the only thing that really mesmerizes him.

Otherwise, I kind of like it too that my son would rather do other things.

Susie Miner said...

Hey look, I will have you all know that I do try to limit the TV watching, but somethings have to get done and TV is good for that, plus, I love a good movie and it is fine by me if Sierra loves them too! But just so you know I like the Disney Movie Club, too. I think it is a pretty good deal, and you can get movies that you really can't find in the stores!

Kimberly said...

it's the greatest babysitter ever ... but when Ezri says things like, "Aw, man!" and "hola mommy!" I am mixed between how cool it is she's learning, and how sad it is she's seen Dora enough times to quote it ...

Brooke said...

I remember fondly my BMG days. I think this Disney Movie club is a great idea. Say hello to hours of enjoyment to be had by all.

Jessica said...

Oh man, I am signing up!
I do get a bit nervous when maren gets so excited over hannah montana though

Rose I meant to tell you after jack was finished with his antibiotics, if you if are into this sort of thing; give him primadophilus children's by Nautre's way. 1/2 tsp for kids under two in milk or juice.
it just gets all that the good bacteria back into their system that antibiotics strip away.
I bought it at Wild Oats here. but I thinkg I have bought this same brand at Smiths Market Place's health food section. Or there is that herbal place(can't remember the name) on 400N by juniper takeout. They would have it.

I am a firm beliver in this stuff! I even sprinkle a bit over my dog's food a couple time a week.