This morning I sent Lachlan to Kindergarten. Yesterday, Jack went to the advanced Preschool class.
Emotionally today, I'm somewhere between a gospel revival (hand clapping, jumping and sweating from jubilation) and a gospel spiritual (reverent, solemn, with a touch of head shaking and croaning).
And gospel music is the perfect metaphor because what you feel is so deep and proven. You know it--you live it and breathe it.
We will experience a paradigm shift this year. When everything that we have been doing is going to need some modification to adapt to the current circumstance--which revolves around the fact that our kids are set to be influenced by the world.
Lachlan will finally figure out what all the words mean on all of the signs, books, television ads, magazines and music books. I sense that her level of frustration at her own lack of understanding has been almost crippling. She wants to know everything about everybody. I hope that her teacher Mrs. B will lock the bathroom door in the faculty lounge because I can almost guarantee that she will be followed. That poor woman is going to be tapped and poked and interrupted all. day. long. I should know.
She was so excited to go to school this morning. Jeff made her Ramen Noodles for breakfast--she ate the whole package. I'm so glad, too, because she doesn't have a lick of fat on her. She wore new clothes, new shoes, had a new backpack. I even "styled" her hair. She likes me to wet it down, blow it dry and curl it. This is "styled"--in fact, she told me that "Mrs. B would like her the best because she's probably never had a girl with styled hair in her class before...."
She was most excited about the bus. Of which, I have had MAJOR anxiety over. She's the only Kindergarten student on the morning bus. She practically lept in the doors. No tears for this kid. She had a huge smile on and waved frantically as it drove away.
I actually followed the bus to make sure that she could find her classroom. But she had a couple of neighborhood kids walk her to her class--and then she didn't even want to acknowledge that I was there. I had to call out her name several times before she would even look up.
She'll be fine. She will not miss me.
Praise the Lord. Amen.
Mrs. B, I hope you got a raise this year.







4 comments:
That backpack is bigger then she is :) I love it!
Cute pics of the kids with the side walk chalk. Lachlan is so grown up for her age. She's darling.
I would have some stress over the bus as well, but it sounds like Lachlan is ready.
It's amazing how fast they grow up. My baby started first grade this year! Wahoo!! Not one even hint of a tear was shed by this mama! In fact, I was so excited about the first day of school I booked myself an hour long massage 15 minutes after the school bell rang. :-) All my little darlings do way better in school than out. They crave structure and routine and all of them needed to be separated from their siblings and be in someone else's care for a few hours a day. I have yet to want for things to do while they're at school, too.
I wouldn't worry too much about the bus. Matthew started riding it the day after his third birthday. Those drivers are pretty protective of the little kids and the kids really do just plain love it! It's the highlight of their day, really.
Oooohhhhhh! I love it! I've been thinking about you this week...
And yes, I noticed what Kylie noticed: that backpack is ginormous on her tiny little self! It makes the whole thing all the cuter.
Congratulations, mom of kindergartner!
Post a Comment