
My sister, Sara, had surgery this morning to remove cancer from her thyroid gland. She is only 27 years old and the mother of three. The surgeons had to take her whole thyroid because of the deterioration of the organ. It is still inconclusive as to the specific type of cancer and we still don't know if it has spread to her lymph nodes or if she will need further radiation for treatment.
That being said, I'm going to honor her with a tribute of my most favorite things about her (27, one for each year of her life).
27: She was brave enough to call and tell me that she thought I was suffering from post-partum depression (which I was) and that I should get some help, immediately.
26: Her perfectly straight and white teeth. She still wears her retainers!! That is serious dedication.
25: She had the first grandchild and really took one for the team...some of us were scared of motherhood.
24: She can keep a monthly budget- no, seriously, this girl probably has 10K in her deep freeze (leftover birthday money from her childhood).
23: Patience. Probably will never have a fist to cuff with my folks...and they practically live together.
22: Always calls to let me know about the hot small town gossip--even if I don't even know the people.
21: Was a big supporter (maybe my only supporter) when I really got into scrapbooking.
20: Can eat an entire pan of mashed potatoes and gravy.
19: Loves games, a decent rummy opponent and always up for "name that movie"
18: Thinks that Tremors was actually one of the greatest movies of all time--which, it may have been.
17: Always gets misty-eyed when she hears "Clancy's Song" or the poem "El Dorado"
16: She holds Jack like he is her own child. She snuggles all babies and always says that your kids are the cutest and smartest.
15: Never apologizes for the condition of her house or appearance.
14: Puts her kids to bed on a schedule. A Babywise bible beater. Amen, sister.
13: A long-time subscriber to People Magazine. Oh, how I wish I were brave enough to just buy it instead of pretending not to look at the checkout line.
12: Bakes a wonderful peach pie
11: Pumped breast milk for an entire year for her twins--think every 3-4 hours for a year!!
10: Willard, sweatpants and cowboy boots. You'll never live it down.
9: Recognizes the importance of eyebrow waxing
8: Helps my mom give her cats pills and then calls to tell me how funny it was...
7: Always makes time for family portraits, birth announcements and Christmas cards.
6: A good reader and speller, but would never point out someone else's mistake.
5: A great friend
4: An even better mother
3: Loves Shane, always
2: A brave face and lots of faith
1: A survivor--soon to be cancer survivor.
I love you, Sara. You can get through this-one day at a time.
No comments:
Post a Comment