Friday, February 22, 2008

I'm Ready...

It is snowing again today. I want you to know that I can believe it--I just wish that I didn't have to. I literally still have at least 41/2 feet of snow in my yard. The driveway got shoveled kind of narrow this year and so every time I back out I get nervous that I am going to back into the frozen wall. I'm not saying that I don't know how to back up, I'm saying that I forget that it is so stinkin' narrow that I will do it because I am not thinking about how there is still a 6 foot wall of crusty debris piled out front. I know that the realists will be saying, "get over it, it is still February"...but honestly, this year it really feels like we will be frozen forever. The sun, well, it's gone, and the air is very thick with pollution. It is seriously depressing in this valley lately.

As for the kids, I told Lachlan that we were going to run some errands and she said, "Oh, yeah!" Like her little kid self was just ready to curl up and pass away with the ordinariness of our days. We haven't been going out much because of the pollution and Jack's asthma so it has been pretty dull to say the least. She did say something fairly prophetic though, she was reading Dr. Seuss' "The Foot Book", which basically recites the following text: Left foot, right foot, feet, feet, feet. How many, many feet you meet. Up foot, down foot, wet foot, dry foot...you get the general gist of the material. There is the greatest page with this big hairy creature and the text reads: Fuzzy, fuzzy fur feet. When she got to that page she looked up at me and said with all seriousness said, "Oh, (pause) dad" and pointed to the hairy creature. And then she nodded with her own acknowledgement. Now I'm not saying that a complete dolt couldn't tell that Jeff has his own fur suit, but to make the connection with a book? That has got to account for some level of increased intelligence.

Oh, and before I forget. A big congratulations to our friends, Bret and Lisa Holman. They had their triplets on Tuesday. Everyone is doing well. Jeff and I laughed because Bret said that they haven't had time to even eat! I can't even imagine. They have to be fed every three hours and then it takes and hour and a half to feed them and change them and then they have to pump and get ready for the next feeding...holy crap, it is so hard with just one baby (or two). I has to be a huge relief that they will be at the hospital for another couple of weeks--at least there you can tell a nurse to fill in while you take a nap. Wow. I can't wait to see them.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Poor Cache Valley. I remember a couple winters like that. I just heard on the radio today that SLC is out of the red and you guys are still in the red. Yuck!
Do be careful of the iced-over snow banks b/c I did back up into the one in my driveway at my old house in Logan, and it put a huge hole in the bumper. But SHHH, B/C I told everyone I didn't know how it happened. That was during the time when I had had a lot of problems with inadamet objects and my car.

Becca Hatch said...

Kate called Bruce a "hairy monkey" early in her life. He was appalled and I couldn't quit laughing. Kids sure have a knack for pointing that kind of stuff out.

Diana said...

As my sister put it..."Spring has brought me such a lousy surprise...3 feet of snow on my fro-ont lawn!" Having just paid a little visit to Cache Valley this weekend, yup...you guys do have a lot of snow! We had that much earlier this year, but we've finally started melting a bit. My mom was so excited that it was actually raining yesterday because she could finally see little patches of grass poking through on her front lawn. It was finally warm enough down here over the weekend that the snow started melting off my flower beds. I was so excited to finally see my little crocuses! Even though they've been buried under several feet of snow all winter, they already have leaves on them...and a few of them actually have buds starting to form. Yeah! Maybe there's hope for spring's arrival afterall. Of course, they all got dumped on with more snow again yesterday afternoon....sigh!

heather and fam said...

Hey Rose!
I was so excited to see your comment on my blog! Don't you love the blog thing! Fun way to express yourself!

I am dying over this winter too! Luckily we just got home from Disneyland/SeaWorld with my family. The first time I saw a nice green patch of grass I had to go and lay my face on it! My kids thought I was nuts----but then realized it was sure good to see it and did the same thing! I would like to say it was a "vacation" but it wasn't!!! Nine kids and 6 adults isn't easy. But getting away from this snow was the best!

Anyway---I love your blog! I should be doing laundry, work, dishes, etc but here I sit reading your blog! Now I need to go and update mine with Disney pictures! Hope Jack is feeling better!
Love Heather