Friday, February 29, 2008

Where's Donald Trump?

We have been finishing our basement. We started around the end of November and tomorrow it will be March. The sheet rock is up, but they won't come to "mud n' tape" until Monday. Jeff's brother has been doing most of the work and things have been going pretty well. That is until yesterday. We had another company come in and help out with the last bit of the sheet rocking (is that even a word??). Anyway, yesterday the two fellows who came over to do the work were really odd. They poured a bunch of water into the cat food, drank some of the soda from the food storage, and used some of our equipment without asking first...it really freaked me out so I made Jeff call their boss. They will not be coming back. Thank goodness. Despite that, I barely slept last night because I kept wondering if they had been wandering through my house while I was gone--aauuggh. I am creeped out. I just got that feeling from them that if I hadn't been home yesterday they would have helped themselves to whatever was in the fridge. It sounds crazy, but it's true. Oh, and the cats were totally put out that their food was floating in some guys old drink--so gross!!

In other news, Lachlan said the word cow. She used to only identify animals by their sounds, but we broke through a language barrier last week with, "cow". Just all of a sudden- I didn't even have to prompt her. She also now identifies all clothing as "tights". Apparently, pantyhose have made a huge impression. I think all women at some point can refer to some of their clothing as "tights". ha.ha.ha. I have some pants that I used to wear before Jack and I'm confident that if I put them on they would look like "tights". She also offered up one of my most humiliating moments this week. I went to the pharmacy to pick up some medications. While standing at the counter giving my info for the insurance company she grabbed onto the counter and lifted her chin over the top. When she made eye contact with the clerk she stated loud and clear, "Fries, Fries, Fries". What? Auuggh? I couldn't believe it! I was instantly one of those parents whose children spent so much time eating fast food that they just assumed that you can get fries at any service counter. Does this make me a complete hypocrite?

Jack ate a handful of last fall's Box Elder Beetles that died in the windowsill. I was totally grossed out, but then I discovered that he had shoved an orange crayon (bright orange) into the slots of Lachlan's space heater and turned it on high. By the time Jeff fished out the crayon the only thing left was the wrapper. The color contents had melted into a giant drippy orange mess on the carpet. It was bad. Real bad. I considered just cutting out an entire section of carpet, but then remembered that I had read in a Martha Stewart Magazine about how she got candle wax off her linen tablecloths. I got out the paper towels and an iron and pressed the iron on top of the towels (which were on top of the crayon). A half roll of paper towels later the wax was gone, BUT the orange stain had grown to the size of a basketball on the carpet. AND IT WAS ORANGE! So I did what every parent does when faced with a stain like that...I sprayed it with so much stain remover that I had to open a window to keep from getting poisoned. Okay, here's a product plug. I used that Oxy stain remover and I just kept blotting it out with an old towel and it worked! There is a slight tinge of orange left on that spot of carpet, but I think that once I get my carpet cleaner on it it will disappear forever. I don't know whether it was a miracle, luck or just elbow grease--what I do know is that Jack will not hold another crayon until he gets to elementary school. Oh, and Jack also got a big boy haircut. It looks really cute except that it is spiky on top and he doesn't look like an angelic baby anymore, he looks like the mischievous little bug eating, crayon melter, "i'm going to crawl down these stairs", kind of kid that he has become. Jeff said that it made him look like a different kid. I had to agree. It made me kind of sad that I did it so short

(5 minutes later) Um, nevermind that. I just caught him eating cat food at the bottom of the stairs holding a handful of sheet rock screws.

7 comments:

Diana said...

Isn't life with kids just so much fun?? And to think...this is what we longed for and even earnestly prayed for!!! But we wouldn't trade them for anything, would we. :-)

We can totally relate to the sheet rock story. The end of last April, our contractor finally came and demoed out our master bathroom. It was supposed to be a 2 week job. Then it was supposed to be finished before we left for Ukraine. Nearly a year later, it's still not done. Grrr! At this point, we're just going to finish it off ourselves and refuse payment to the contractor...who hasn't ever bothered to come collecting because he knows we won't pay him until the job is finished.

In between the chaos of kids and life, we've been able to get the toilet and sink functional, but that is it. We're working on getting the shower fixtures in now. Can't wait until we don't have to share a bathroom with the kids anymore!!!

Becca and Kent said...

Lachlan at the pharmacy counter--that's hilarious! I'm pretty sure I would have died laughing if I'd been there. How funny.

Becca Hatch said...

I bet those sheet rock guys touched your underwear. Just kidding. I have to say that we had an awesome sheet rock guy- no not Bruce. A paid professional who showed up when he said he would and completed the job on time and on budget. I know- you think I also believe in Santa, but it was the fastest part of our whole project, and you better believe I have recommended him to anyone who will listen.
Your kids are as naughty as mine. I'm secretly pleased. Glad you got the stain out.

Brooke said...

"Fries! Fries! Fries!" That's the greatest thing I've heard in a long time!! Wishful thinking, Lachlan. You're getting vitamins and other tasty treats. I'm soooo glad I'm not the only one with kids that can order for themselves at McDonald's.

Hatchetman said...

About Am. Idol- I agree that the season improves immensely once you are to the top 10 or 12. I think that the rocker chick will be gone in the next couple of weeks, but since the "I sold my horse" chick dances like a stripper every chance she gets, we might be in for the long haul where she's concerned. I won't spoil this week since you haven't viewed yet.

Melanie said...

If it makes you feel better, every time we get in the car Lette asks me for "chickie fry". Also please read my blog entry "a day for the record books"...I think we are living the same life.

Emily said...

welcome to the wonderful world of children!! gotta love em' huh? I remember a time when I was never was going to have kids that did "that" and now I've just realized that kids are kids and you do your best and they are well... just kids!! The worst is when you can't help but laugh out loud right in the moment when they are the most naughty!! I love reading your posts... you make me laugh!