Saturday, July 5, 2008

While Rose Was Away...

The kids decided that we needed to go on a hike with the scouts so we headed up Logan canyon. At Tony Grove lake, we hiked up the side hill to Polygamist cave. Here are L and J in their backpacks getting tanked up on Gatorade and candy at the trail head:


The trail was still covered with snow and it had been a few years since I last visited the cave so it took a little longer than I expected to find it. Luckily the scouts were very persistent and we eventually found the cave. Here are L and J tanking up on treats to celebrate finding the cave:


Here we are enjoying the scenery in front of the cave. I didn't get any pictures inside the cave because I didn't have a real camera with a flash but L really loved the big "hole" and wanted stay inside and continue exploring. I thought it was actually a little cold so we came out before everyone else and sat in the sun enjoying the scenery. It was really nice weather and a lot of fun.

Here is a picture of us heading back down the trail from the cave. You can see the snow off in the distance that was still covering the actual trail. We made it down safely and had a lot of fun.

L talked about the "big hole" we visited for a couple of days. We'll have to go back and visit it again. The cave is quite large with a few back caverns to explore and the flowers should be about ready to bloom in the next couple of weeks. Let me know if you are interested in going with us and we'll plan a day to go up and do the short but steep hike.

7 comments:

Becca Hatch said...

What a nice daddy! It looks like fun, but I also remember that the snow up there always takes longer than you think to melt. The kids look like they had a great time at the "big hole." Have they ever been to Reno? There's a lot of big holes there too. I guess that's different...

Becca and Kent said...

Just wondering...there are two backpacks with children but only one of you. I'm guessing you got a scout to carry the other one. :D I love Tony Grove.

Amy Bateman said...

I would love to go! I've been itching to visit Logan; it has been way too long. Zach and Em would probably join us ... How's your August?

Jeff and Rose said...

Becca H. - The kids haven't been to Reno yet but it's on their list.

Becca A. - One of the dads carried a kid pack and I carried the other. I often wish they made a two-seater kid carrier but that would probably only work for our feather weight kids.

Amy - Anytime except the last week of August works for me. Let me know when you get back from Egypt and Eastern Europe and we'll head up there.

Blaine said...

Is this the cave on the way up to the ridge? Is it near Naomi Peak or Mount Elmer?

I remember a cave years ago when hiking up to the top of the ridge and then the plan was to come down the ridge and into Logan, but we did not quite make it before dark-- we made it almost to the wind cave trail.

Sara Jane said...

That looks like so much fun. I do miss the mountains and good for you for getting the kids out and starting them early with hiking.

Jeff and Rose said...

This cave is up near the ridge as you exit the beach/campground side of Tony Grove Lake basin headed towards Mt Elmer. It's not far and can be seen from the lake (at least the cliff band near the ridge can be seen although the cave entrance is not visible).