Friday was finally the BIG DAY. We were able to do the surgery locally (a huge plus) first thing in the morning. The official surgery term is Post Aunicular Tympanoplasty. It really amounts to cutting her ear from the back and peeling it forward. They take some of the cartilage from her ear and scalp and make her a new eardrum--then they graft it into place and sew the ear back into place. We also knew that she was going to have a tube removed from her other (left) ear from a previous surgery.
Lachlan was a great patient. She was very brave. Dr. B did a great job and said that he didn't see any tumors, masses or otherwise unsightly problems. He was able to complete the surgery and also put a paper patch over the left ear. When he removed the tube the hole in the other eardrum was also perforated so hopefully the patch will stimulate some scar tissue to form in the right place.
When I came to get her in post-op she had every nurse eating out of her hand. She must have collected a hundred band-aids and other various medical devices. (At $10 a piece those band-aids are really worth something). She wasn't crying, just very excited about her gigantic pink band-aid. She was very proud that her ears were finally fixed.
The ears are both packed with cotton and the paper patch is very thick--so if you thought she couldn't hear you before...well, get ready. She talks in an incredibly loud voice and says, "What mama? What you say, dad?" ALL DAY LONG! We've laughed because it feels like we are living with an 90 year old!
I'm relieved to have this step behind us. I am crossing my fingers that her hearing will really improve. She is doing so well, I don't think many people would even know that she has a problem. It's hard to even imagine not being able to hear everything (like the difference between swimming pool and swimming cool--which is what she calls it :))
Here's some photos from the surgery --caution for the wimpy, the ear is not pretty.
Big Surgery Day! Early in the morning, but she was ready to go!
Post surgery, watching Mary Poppins. I thought she'd love it, but she wasn't really a fan.
Puppy dog eyes.
More TV and blankets.
Getting the big band-aid off--and checking the wound. She LOVES Dr. B.
Dr. B didn't even have to shave any hair--just had to lift up the comb over. The cut looks really good. I don't think that we'll even see a scar.
One last note: this is the weather today. uggh. I might be sick.
6 comments:
I hope things continue to go well! She is so spunky!
Oh boy, what a trooper! I sure hope things continue to progress nicely. What a cutie!
Hope she gets feeling better. Looks like Jeff has recovered from the Cat bite. I have to say, that was completely sick....it almost made me dry heave..
Glad you are blogging again I missed your posts.
That is the best giant pink band-aid ever! This is awesome!
Poor Lachlan! I've heard of this surgery before; a friend of mine has a son who had an earache, eardrum ruptured, and wouldn't ever repair itself. It's fascinating and miraculous! Hope she keeps doing well.
xoxo
Oh my goodness! I'm tough and that ear shot made me a bit queasy- she's so little! Good girl. I am so proud of her and her huge pink bandaid. That thing was amazing. I hope she's healing quickly. And I want a swimming cool!
Post a Comment