Saturday, May 30, 2009

Fathers and Sons Report

So, the boy and I went to the fathers and sons camping trip Friday night. Last year I took both Jack and Lachlan but this year it was just Jack and me doing some male bonding. Jack had mixed feelings about camping. When I would ask him if he was getting excited to go, he would tell me he was going to see a crocodile, a dolphin, and a whale but he didn't want to sleep in a tent.

Despite his expectations, we ended up having a really great time. We didn't see any of the things he was hoping for but we did find some nice fuzzy caterpillers. If you ask him about his trip he will tell you that he didn't get to see a crocodile or a green caterpiller - he doesn't even mention the whale or dolphin so that disappointment must have been more than he could bear. He will also tell you that he ate ice cream, marshmallows, pancakes, eggs, bacon, milk, etc. He really did enjoy the marshmallows. He kept telling me "Dad, dem my favorite". I tried to get him to eat one that had been cooked over the fire but he spit it out and went back to eating them raw.

When I was younger I used to write things I ate for lunch in my journal so it seems that he takes after me in that respect and he's starting to compile a great history in his mind of the food he ate and how good it was for each exciting milestone in his life. Great memories.

After our breakfast, we went on a hike through the raging river to an old abandonned mine. You know, pretty standard stuff for a fathers and sons actvity.

3 comments:

Diana said...

Glad to hear you surived AND enjoyed the event. Kids are the best, aren't they?

Live More Now said...

Wow, on top of ALL THAT FOOD, that was a lot to fit in to one trip! Great job. :)

Becca Hatch said...

Of course there was an abandoned mine- you've got to start with the danger early so he's desensitized by the time he's a Cub Scout and decides to set the forest on fire.