Wednesday, March 17, 2010

What I'm Really Hearing

I've been putting off this post because I suppose that I'm a little superstitious. And I wonder if you can be superstitious and faithful and/or hopeful at the same time.

Probably not.

It's like buying a lottery ticket. You know that you're not supposed to gamble, but you say to yourself, "if we win we'll just pay a big chunk of tithing." Yeah, that ought to cover it.

And then you find yourself thinking about all the things that you would do with that money all the way home from La Tienda. "Come on, Gold Mine!"

So obviously, I'm a hypocrite (which plenty of you already knew, please don't post this in the comments, I'm well aware). That said, I'm holding out for the Luck O' the Irish, a knock on wood, shot in the dark, good Karma--and I'm making Lachlan and Jack pray for it every night (cause their younger and their prayers are more pure).

Ten days ago, we visited Dr. B for our monthly ear appointment. The fluid has returned to Lachlan's good ear. Not the ear she already has hearing loss in, the GOOD ear. It's also the ear that had the full cartilage graft surgery. The worst part is that the graft has healed completely. There isn't any way for the fluid to drain. I thought that I was going to throw up in that office.

I had the burning tears in my eyes. You know, the ones that you don't want Dr. B to see--so you look like a crazy person who doesn't dare blink their eyes.

I hate reading this in print.
uggh.
burning tears.

Dr. B is a wonderful man and he saw that I was "on the brink" and he assured me that we are just going to watch it and see if it "will go away on its own." And when I walked out of there, I just kept telling myself, "it will just go away. Calm down. Don't get worked up about this. Lots of kids get fluid in their ears and it just goes away for them!"

Then on Sunday afternoon, I saw this:

Me: Lola, what are you doing?
L: Mama, I just want to hear it loud.
Me: silence. more burning tears.

If you have kids you'll know that these "toys" are PLENTY loud.

What I'm really beginning to hear is that miracles happen for a lot of people. I've prayed for a lot of miracles in my life. But what I can see is that they rarely happen for us. Mostly, because I think that I don't really learn anything with them. I have to learn how to be patient--and it is so damn hard. I hate it. I hate it that she can't hear. It's not fair. All she wants to do is to "hear it loud!"

It's like wanting to win the lottery because you don't want to balance the budget. You want to buy furniture you'll probably never sit on and cars you'll hate to drive. But you want it anyway because you think that it will be easier. Maybe you even tell yourself that you KNOW it would be easier.

You know what the hardest part is for me? It's praying for Lachlan's ears to be healed when deep down in my gut I feel like that's just not going to happen. That we are going to have to start from square one--and I start to wonder if I have either this incredible insight or just an outstanding lack of faith??

The second hardest part is trying to not yell at Lachlan when she can't keep up with the rest of us. When I feel like "what is your problem already--I've asked you to make your bed and pick up your room eleven times--and you are still sitting here on the floor!" and then you realize from the look on her face that she didn't even know that you were speaking to her. In that moment, you feel like you aren't sure whether to kick her butt or your own.

How long does it take for the hard things to be easy? Can you ever really hear just the sound of your own faith ringing back in your ears? If so, what does it sound like...I'm not sure that I've heard that one before.

13 comments:

Becca Hatch said...

Oh, Rose.

You pray for it anyway. And then you also know that no matter what happens, things will turn out okay.

And I totally play the lottery, and know what? Most of the people who win are complete idiots, and answered prayers and miracles are the same way. You go on and be your imperfect self, and it is okay. You might hit it big time.

Ronda said...

I know we haven't been officially introduced. It's that old friend of Jeff's again. Alas, I still have to tell you that you are a beautiful person. I feel like we would be instant friends upon introduction by said Jeff.
I ready a book once called prayers that bring Miracles. IT said that if you want to pray with perfect faith you have to know that the thing you are praying for is God's will. I would venture to say that the nagging in your gut is the knowledge he is giving you to tell you it is not his will. I know it is easy for some bozo mom a million miles away to diagnos somebody else's faith/prayer/issue. I just don't think you should be hard on yourself for trying to muster up faith, when he is already telling your gut it is going to be another long ride, so get prepared.
That said, I think Lachlan is a beautiful girl and luckier than most people on this earth. Somehow you found her out of all of the children on the planet, and you are taking care of things. The love you so evidently provide her will make up for a quieter life. Better yet, it will come in loud and clear even if other things aren't so loud. You keep up the good work with your faith and your family. I will work on getting my butt to Utah to someday get introduced.

Diana said...

It bites when our babies our hurting and the only thing we can do about it is turn it over to God. Sometimes that isn't easy, especially for control freaks like us. :-) Even when we try to turn it over and even when we KNOW that God can take care of it way better than we can, we still want to keep on trying to solve the situation our way. You'd think after all we've been through in the past few years we'd learn that lesson. Apparently I haven't because I STILL keep wanting to make things happen my way!

When do hard things get easier? I don't know. I haven't figured that one out yet. When you find the answer, let me know!

When do you hear your own faith ringing in your ears? When you have the courage to ask God what you're supposed to do next and what you're supposed to do with whatever He's handed you and He answers with an answer you don't like. Faith begins to ring when you find the courage to accept His answer, trust His answer, make peace with His answer, and then move forward with HIS plan, not yours.

It's then that the real miracles he has in store for us are unfolded, too. The miracle He has planned for you and your family may or may not include Lauchlan being able to hear. But I can assure you there IS a miracle waiting for you...one that will be unfolded in God's way and God's time...and one that will leave a clear and lasting impression on your soul.

And finally, it's ok to cry about it along the way. It's even ok to throw hissy fits over it! At least where I come from, that's part of the healing and acceptance process.

Melanie said...

My heart is sick for you. Think about how much progress she has made already. Keep praying, sometimes when things have been hard for me, I talk to Old Bill and just ask him to interceed on my behalf.

In some cases it has actually worked. I know grandpa can help work miracles. Either way things will work out they way they are supposed too.

Jen said...

Rose, my heart goes out to you. I have no wise words because I'm far from having things figured out myself. But this I do know, that God loves us, that he is mindful of everything, and that somehow it will all work out.

As a side note, we were so sure we'd win the HGTV dream home this year we told the kids we were moving to New Mexico.

Emily + Eric said...

Rose - you won't have room in your comments for all of the thoughts going through my head right now. Just know that I know EXACTLY how you feel. I mean, honestly - we've got to get together and talk...and cry....and heck, let's throw in some food for good measure.

Valerie said...

We'll be praying for her, too.

Jenni said...

So sorry.

the mama monster said...

rose-
we are so sorry that you are dealing with all this. we will be praying for lachlan too. hope things get better.

Buffy said...

Your post made me cry Rose - when my mom was sick so many times I prayed for her to be healed, and that we needed her so much more here on earth to love our little kids and hold them and play with them and show them by her example how good people can be. Even though things did not turn out as I wanted or hoped they would I still know there were many miracles along the way that we were blessed with. It seems easier to see them looking back on our situation than when we are in the moment. It is a miracle that you have this little girl. That she gets to be raised in a loving, LDS family. I'm so sorry to hear the problems she is having with her ears - it breaks my heart for such an innocent little girl to have to endure so much. We will keep her in our prayers and you. Good luck.

Danny, Jen, Kadee, Kambrie and Lillian said...

Rose,
Well girl, I don't know what to say. I wish that I had known this when we talked last week. Here I went on and on and you didn't speak a word. I am so sorry for Lachlan. It is so sad that the small and simple things she is longing for, "wanting to hear it loud", is not working for her. As a mom, I know that breaks your ever living heart. It sucks that after all she has been through, that she ALSO has to deal with this! Where is the crap is her break?!? Things just don't make sense some times... at all. That I do understand. We are honest with each other and say it how it is... and for your sake, I can only imagine how you feel. I can't imagine how frusterating this has been for you. You want her to be able to hear, not only for her sake but for yours... and you don't need to feel guilty about the fact that if this doesn't work... how it is going to affect you so much. It is hard enough raising kids without this added stress. You are such an amazing mom... and YOU are her mom... and YOU will know how to handle it and work it out if the prayers and faith don't come through. Why do we have to learn things in such a shitty way sometimes. I do not know that answer for sure. This I do know for sure... You have an amazing family. You have all of us friends that love you and will support you and help you with all of stress that could come of the situation... just like YOU have helped all of us at times of need. That is what girlfriends are for. Getting the giggles together and digging one another out of the mud. And let me tell you my friend. You have more faith and hope than anyone I know. I don't know that I would have had the strength to adopt a beautiful baby from China and put all of your trust in guidance from God that this is YOUR child. But you did. Trust in that fact and know that you will be able to handle whatever it is that is put in your path my friend. I love you so much.

Live More Now said...

Oh, Rose, I am so sorry for the pain in your hearts and minds. Although I'm not a mom, I know a thing or two about how mom's worry, and I can imagine there is a lot of that going on. I, too, struggle with the whole "faith" thing - faith in something bigger, faith in myself at times, faith in others. Especially when our biggest fear might be exactly what we are facing. The thing that I do know, and that I DO have faith about, is that there is someone who you know quite well, who has the strength to endure, and who WILL be there for your tomorrow, whatever that holds - and that is you. We all have that, and as strange as it sounds, it always comforts me to know that no matter what, we will make it through. We may not think we have the strength today, but tomorrow we will. And Lachlan is so so lucky. As tough as this no doubt is for her, she has the most wonderful family and a mom who would and has done anything for her. :)

I love you. Am thinking about you. I am going to call you later today. xoxoxo

Meek House of Insanity said...

Rose,
I am so sorry but feel like a kindred spirit at the moment! I feel like all the prayers I've been sending up for the new little one we are expecting are like asking to win the lottery too. Like I am being selfish, even though I tell myself it is for his own good. I keep telling myself that if I don't have faith, I have no chance at the miracle...but on the same note, if I don't get my miracle, I still need to have the faith. That He knows what I need, what our family (including the new little guy) needs and why we need it. I know that I can't see the eternal view now and hope that no matter the answer I get to the prayers, that I can accept them and move forward to get to the point that I see what the blessing was that came from the trial. I pray for the same thing for you...and comfort during the trial. We love you and will be praying for you and your sweet little girl!