Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Welcome to 2013!

Despite the lack of posts last year, I actually worked more on family history than in previous years. Which is actually the purpose of this blog for me--however, due to our upcoming addition I'm going to pick up the writing so that many of you can follow along.

Today is Jack's 6th birthday. I've been building him a "first year" baby book for the past few months and it has been so fun to look back. I can't believe that five years have come and gone. He's sitting here next to me right now, watching Kung Fu Panda cartoons while his beloved ipod charges up. He burns out the battery playing, Plants Vs. Zombies. I conceded my rule about "no killing games" because technically Zombies aren't real. Ah, you win some and you lose some battles.

Jack has a great Kindergarten teacher. I love visiting the classroom because I always learn something about teaching from watching her. In fact, I've had several "ah, hah" moments--where I always walk away thinking about how amazing her skills are. Jack was the VIP last Thursday. I helped him to make his poster. He stood up in front of the class and told them, "this is a picture of me when I was a baby. I didn't have any teeth so I just sucked on a tomato." I loved that part because I don't remember telling him that he didn't have any teeth. He also told them about how much he loves Super Heroes and that his favorite cartoon is Scooby Doo. One of the kids asked him what else he liked and he said, "Pokemon." I don't even think he knows what that is--I sure don't--but he must have heard about it somewhere and has decided that he likes it. He can get wiggly sometimes, but I have noticed that when a story is being read he maintains rapt attention. I love that a bit of maturity comes out on these small moments. He told me last week that he skipped choice time so that he could finish writing his book about "the trampoline." I loved hearing that--
 
 
Jack wanted to have a little party at the JumpZone for his birthday. We invited Lilly and Sammy to go with us. The JumpZone is pretty cool (and not filthy dirty like the Fun Park (gag)). I would have loved a place like this when I was a kid. My favorite part of watching the kids is seeing them try their "tricks"--Jack thinks he is very high, but he jumps about six inches off the mat. Lachlan on the other hand, with feathers for hair, has the most awesome "launch-toss"--it doesn't hurt that she weighs less than a sack of groceries so you can really throw her.

Her hair kills me. You couldn't even Photoshop it any better!
The party then headed to the house for the pancake dinner. Jack requested pancakes, sausage, bacon, and chocolate milk. Lachlan was starving because she hadn't eaten since 11:30 at the school--I totally forgot to bring her a snack before we went to the trampoline place. She ate three servings of pancakes, a personal record. All Jack could think about was opening presents--he got an art kit, some games, a new Spider-Man costume (the old one was worn to rags), and his beloved Castle. He was very disappointed that Santa didn't bring it at Christmas. Good thing that Santa saved it for his birthday, less than a month later. I have to admit. The castle is pretty cool. He has played with Lachlan non-stop. He even got up early so that he could play before church!
Spider-Man tattoos for all the kids.

A very special Spider-Man birthday cake made for him by our lovely Aunt Carrie. He picked it out from several designs on Pinterest. It was so awesome. He was so excited to have it just like the picture.

He is very serious about wishes. He is always begging me to save eyelashes so that he "can blow the wishes." On Sunday, Jeff was cutting his hair. He was standing, naked in the tub, covered in hair from the clippers. He looked down at all of the hairs and said, "oh, wow! Thousands and thousands of wishes!" He stood still thinking very hard before he blew out the candle on his cake.

1 comment:

Erica said...

Happy Birthday Jack! Will and Holden love the spiderman cake!