This is the building where the work is done. Behind the iron gates. It's really beautiful inside. We waited in line for a few minutes. Good ol' Helen was nervous as a cat that I had brought my bag and no Ziplocs to "make it show through for the polices". Oh, Helen. sigh. I finally just handed her my purse and told her that I didn't need anything in it for the appointment. She looked at me like I'd given her a hand grenade!
They serve adoptive families in groups up to twelve, but our group only had five families. The consulate guy gave us some specific instructions on how to enter the US and claim citizenship for our children. He then had all of us stand and repeat the immigration oath, which basically states that all of our documents are true and correct. I still got a little choked up. It was pretty cool. They call each family up one-by-one and stamp your documents and give you an adoption registration certificate--then they said, "Congratulations!" And, that's it! You're done.
They should play some music or set off some fireworks.
The relief is something I can't really describe. I'm so grateful that we stuck it out. This has been an incredible journey. My friend Denise always says, "Thanks be to God." It's the only sentiment that ran through my mind for the rest of the day. We are so blessed to have Louisa in our lives.
2 comments:
Congrats! Congrats! So glad it's over and you are home???
Cute skirt and don't you just love "humid hair". I still think you look great!
We are so glad and so grateful! It seems like it took a century. So would you please hurry home so we can meet her! All is well, all are safe, thanks be to God.
Post a Comment