Thursday, October 10, 2013

Allergy Tests, Cancer, and the Indian War Chant

Every once in a while I sit down at the end of the day and I can't believe what I have spent the day doing...

It is my belief that all mothers feel and think about this.

I never had moments like this before I had children.

This morning started out with a late shower and no time for scripture study. Louisa had ro poop in the middle of her shower so I literally had to stand and hold her to keep her from slipping her wet body right into the toilet. She has a case of the "stingy bum" so I have to make sure that she gets wiped really well and gets her bum cream on. Not that she would let me forget, she walks around and holds her crotch saying "yum yeem" until you get it done.

The easiest part of the day was while I went to work for a few hours.

And then I skipped lunch and hurried to take Lachlan to an allergy test. While we were there, Jeff dropped off a Diet Coke, chicken sandwich and Louisa. Louisa had her backpack, art smock, a baby dog and a bag full of fake fruits and vegetables.

We found out that Lachlan is allergic to cow's milk, soybeans, onions, tree pollen (oak, aspen, olive), soil mold and molds present in breads and leftover foods, honeydew melon...along with some minor reactions to about 20 other things. Dr. B has recommended that we begin immunotherapy for the mold and environmental allergies. It means that starting next week Lachlan will get a shot every week for at least the next year. She will also go off all dairy products, soy--and try not to eat onions. We are really hopeful that this will help her with her sinus/ear infections. They have been so bad this past year that I'm not sure her hearing will ever recover.

It took two hours to take and review the allergy test. I raced home to find Jack waiting on the porch in the rain. He was waiting with Bruce. I had just finished explaining to Lachlan that cow's milk = dairy products = milk, cheese, ice cream, yogurt, butter. She was in tears. She told me that she thought it would be so fun to tell all of her school friends about her allergy test, but it had turned out to be the "worst thing ever!" She cried about not being able to eat ice cream "as a family" any more. I probably should have done a better job explaining what we might find at the allergy test because it seriously was a complete shock that there were ANY consequences to the results. Frankly, I was sick to my stomach when I saw cow's milk on the list. Next to bread, I can't think of anything worse. I told her that it would be okay, that somehow we would figure it out.

Which put us right into homework time...timed reading, math, reading "Frog and Toad" with Jack. The whole time Louisa empties the box of crayons and then rolls them onto the floor and demands that someone pick them up; so that she can roll them onto the floor again. You start to think about dinner and then remember that Jeff is working late...

...and everyone stands there while you go to the bathroom. Jack actually showed me several pictures he drew.

During a dinner of leftovers we talked about cancer. What is cancer? Who gets cancer? Can kids get cancer? Can you get cancer in your leg/arm/eye/hair? Do I know anyone with cancer? Jack had to cry for a little while because, "you just never know if YOU"RE GOING TO GET CANCER!"

An awesome discussion and anxiety breakdown was followed directly by a solid hour of Lachlan practicing the piano. She saves the "Indian War Chant" piece for the last 20 minutes, just to make sure that I have smoked an entire pack of cigarettes.

In the meantime, I've yelled at Jack and Louisa to quit wrestling, stop feeding the cat, PHLEASE get your jammies on and brush your teeth, again to quit wrestling and PHLEASE put down the cat scratching post and quit rubbing it on your naked body (Louisa), quit following me, and pick up these bloody shoes! I may also have said, "If you put that meat in the couch, I will cut you."

Tomorrow we will go pick up Lachlan's new pediatric Epi-Pen. She has to bring it with her to all of her allergy appointments. We'll also start our mornings with a lot more oatmeal or maybe a bagel. I ordered a new HEPA filter for the vacuum and I need to get the carpets cleaned. Jack has show and tell. He has already planned to show his "nuts"--it's his black walnut collection that he collects on his nature walks. There might even be a spare horse chestnut thrown in there for something really exciting.

Hope we don't get cancer. (no, seriously--cause I guess you really never know)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry Rose- those are defiantly the days when bed time cannot come soon enough. I never swore until I had kids.

Erica said...

I'm so sorry about Lachlan's allergies. Love you.