

My boys, modeling mother's latest fashion creations...and Ernie, relaxing in the swing.Only 22 days...Last week I decided that I really wanted to learn how to knit using those standard knitting looms. I saw a set of them on sale at Walmart while I was shopping for a disposable camera. We have a really good friend here in Logan who actually runs a business making the really nice wooden looms--on the side she has a fantastic website that has a ton of patterns, instructional videos and general information. I figured that I had made quilts, bibs, and burp cloths using a borrowed sewing machine and instructional booklet---this couldn't possibly be any harder. Plus, I had all the instructional videos that I could watch online...well, it was a bit more intensive than just winding string onto the plastic loom. I did have to make one trip to see my sister-in-law Gae to make sure that I was doing the most basic stitch correctly. Once I got started though, I just sort of started making my own patterns--AND, I even had a dream in the middle of the night about how I could make the little ear flaps on my red hat (see photo).
I now have three little hats to show for my effort. I seem to have mastered the e-stitch, knitting, purling, a flat stitch and I can do a basic square pattern with a gartered edge. Not bad for one day. I even made the pom poms to go on top of the hats--although, I think that my mom may have taught me that a LONG time ago. I seem to have a vague recollection of doing that before---hum. The hardest part was keeping Bruce out of the yarn. He gets it stuck to his tongue and he can't get it out of his mouth once he gets it in there. He just chokes and gags on it. The best part is that it keeps my mind off of the nightly contractions. They are coming back. They took a vacation over the weekend, but they seem to be back in the office.
Jeff wants me to make him a matching hat. I think that I will try to make him one with ear flaps. I made a few mistakes on the first one and now that I have a clue what I'm doing it should look a little bit better. I'm sure that there will be a few people calling and wanting me to make some of those covers that go over the Kleenex box, but I really don't think I will want to waste all of this talent on tissue covers. Mom, if you want one of those you'll have to make it yourself. ha.ha.
Reality Check: The Miners loaned us their baby swing. I put in on the floor in our bedroom. This afternoon while I was finishing up with the hats I kept hearing this funny clicking sound. When I went to get Fritz to model the hats I found Ernie in the swing--a rockin' away! He loves that thing! In fact, I think that I am going to have to keep it in the closet so that he doesn't make it his own personal cat hammock.
2 comments:
Rose! This is the craziest thing I have ever seen! The cats acting as mannequins for our children's clothing is one thing but dreaming in the language of the loom? Now that really takes the cake. Still, I can't wait for my awesome hat with flaps - Jeff
Rose,
I love the new pictures. I was telling my students about your cats today and logged on to show them the pictures! It was great. I can't believe you made all three in one day. Can't wait to hear more about it.
Love, Erica
Post a Comment