Sunday, June 8, 2008

Hike in the Rain?

Lachlan learned how to blow the seeds off of a dandelion. We laughed so hard because she got all the seed stuck to her mouth. I was nervous that she was going to inhale and choke!

"Daddy, go?" "Daddy, go?" We hear this all day long. Even when he is riding on daddy's back.

We didn't get wet, but I think that we got lucky. I can also report that the kids are significantly more heavy in these packs than I remember from last summer. The first half mile of the hike I was a little nervous that my calves were going to give out before we even got started. It was a lot better once they got warmed up to the weight of Lachlan, (a huge sigh of relief for all body parts). She is really starting to get some good muscle weight. Some of you who have lifted her in the past will know that it is like lifting an empty cardboard box--you anticipate something heavier than what you get. Recently, however, I have noticed that I really have to "get ready" to lift her up or it can be something just shy of disaster (for both of us). There have been a couple of times when I have almost tipped over because I'm not used to having any weight on her end. I suppose that eventually all of the calories were going to add up.

Jack also gained a pound last month (up to 18.8 lbs and 30 inches). I was really hoping that we would break the 20lb. barrier, but I guess we'll shoot for his 18mo. checkup. It's next month and I can't believe it! In fact, I sent him to the church nursery today. I thought that it would just be a "trial run" so that he could get used to the other kids and teachers/wranglers. Well it took him all of 30 seconds to decide that this was a much better deal than Sunday School and stale goldfish crackers. He never shed a tear. Never even acknowledged that Jeff and I left him there. I peeked in about a million times and he was being such a good boy (I was so proud!). Lachlan on the other hand, whoa, I peeked in on her too and I think that we need to have a talk about respectful behavior and leaving our dress down and not showing everyone our bum at church. I probably should have checked on her a LONG time ago. So much for believing that no news is good news...
Jack's first day at nursery. He colored a paper that said, "I can do many things."

Lachlan models her dress that Nanny Nancy brought her from San Francisco. Looks pretty, but needs some bloomers to avoid the previously mentioned "bum showing". Later on that evening, she modeled "mama shoe"--only the feet are shown because she was doing her post-bath "Spring Break" run.

3 comments:

jenny said...

the nudie thing killed me. i love kids fixation with showing everyone their parts. funny until you have to deal with it i guess?! you are like she-ra carrying around those kids in that pack. i wouldn't have made it five steps.

Arlie's Corner said...

I love seeing how your kids are growing and changing! They are darling. However, I must say if I would have been Jeff when you started complaining about the chirping birds, I would have sent you outside, and kept the cat inside! Just kidding, Rose. I love you. Auntie R

Maeve said...

Rose, Its so fun to see how big your kids have gotten. They are so cute. We should organize a roommate reunion. What do ya say? -Maeve