Thursday, December 17, 2009

Simple Kitchen Apron

We had an sewing project in Relief Society a while back. I get pretty stoked by stuff like this because they generally select projects that I can actually accomplish successfully. This project made me feel like a rockstar because it was so simple that a monkey could have made it--and someone with intelligence ranking near mindless (like me) could even improve upon the whole thing. Hence, the pride brought about by a charitable women's organization.

Oh, the irony.

In fact, the ego made me make two of them. The first one, was for me--mostly because, even monkeys need a trial run when using a sewing machine.

I lined the back and the front pocket. I got the fabric from JoAnn's because it was cheap, but I sort of wish that I would have had the money to look at Bernina. They have some great stuff in there.
Modeling session. Forgive the model, it was midnight. I had to stop sewing and go to choir in between the appliques and the trim. And below, you will see the iron-on/applique trims. I saw these on the clearance rack at the fabric store. They looked so cool, but they didn't turn out as crisp as I would have liked AND they were a holy pain in the grass to "iron-on." I don't think I ever did get them to fully "work according to manufacturing standards" but it was late and I decided to chalk it up to the bad decision category. I AM glad that I hadn't invested in a major project that was dependent upon the success of this measure.

I learned my lesson on the first one and decided to make a few changes on the second one (for Nanny Nancy). It's much cleaner with the embroidery stitching. Overall, my sewing was much better on this one.

For the record, I'm making a couple more and I think that I'm going to trim the pattern down and make a couple for the kids. But not before Christmas. I haven't lost all of my faculties, yet.

2 comments:

Sara Jane said...

I need one of those. They are darling. It's looks kind of hard though even though you said it was easy.

jenny said...

that is really cute. looks hard though. and i'm really jealous if your sewing machine can sew names!!!!!