Saturday, February 6, 2010

Official Report: No Actual Beavers at Beaver Mountain

We finally got brave enough to take the kids skiing. It's a risky thing to take them for the first time. You want them to love it. For one, you love it. And if they don't love it too, you'll never get to go...and you've been waiting until just the perfect moment so that you'll have a chance for success. This picture of Lachlan in front of the ski office may be my favorite picture of the year. She is so happy to have her pink skis and white boots.
I wanted to get a picture of Jack in front of the lodge, but he had to slide on his coat down the hill. His ski boots were very slippery and he thought it was wonderful. He skated down that hill. I thought he was going to get a fat lip before we even got the stupid skis on him. I was so happy to see this smile on him. He whined on the way up the canyon because Quote: "I don't want to go to Beaver Mountain. I want to go to Dinosaur Mountain and see real-live dinosaurs. I don't want to go see any beavers!"
Dear Jack, some day these words will haunt you. And your dad and I will laugh as hard then as we are now. Love, Mom
Dear Marge & Ted, I hope that you make a million dollars at your resort this year. I hope that you find a diamond ring in your coat pocket. I hope whichever one of you it was that decided to install the 'Magic Carpet' on the bunny hill lives forever in perfect health. My gosh, this is the best thing that ever happened to your little resort. It's just a little piece of Deer Valley--and oh, how I love it. P.S. My chiropractor also thanks you.
Dear Self, for the love, could you please lift your head up off of your neck when your picture is being taken?? And that hat isn't doing you any favors either...

And they skied. I don't know why I was so surprised--but I really was--they just took off! After an hour, Lachlan was racing Sierra down the hill. Jack kept yelling at Jeff that they needed to go faster. I had to put my skis on just to keep up with them on the hill. It was a wonderful night. Jack had to be hauled off the hill, kicking and screaming, because he didn't want to leave. He wanted to ski. He wanted to ride the carpet. He wanted to stay on the Beaver's Mountain!

I've included some ski footage from the first couple of runs (when I could still walk down the hill, rather than run to keep up). You can see that Jack just wants me to get out of the way so that he can barrel down the hill--don't worry, we have helmets. They're already packed in the ski bags for next weekend.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I am so envious. What a lovely and expensive family activity. Devin does NOT ski, and I was a die hard from the time I was eight, until college when I couldn't afford it anymore. But I have had visions of Maren and I the past two years, and Devin might just have to sit in the lodge.
All of the pictures are great. Fun memories.

Brooke said...

Yesssssssssss. What an awesome day! I love it the magic carpet, and I am also sending the Seeholzers good vibes for their brilliant decision to have it installed. I would even go so far as to call it life-changing. ;)

Live More Now said...

Rose, you are hilarious. I love that pic of Lachlan in front of all the skis, too. She looks pretty darn happy!

All this talk of Beaver Mountain really makes me miss it. I went snowboarding for the first time in seriously like 5 years the other day, and it made me sooooo stinkin' happy I thought that maybe I hadn't been that happy in 99 years. Craziness.

Aaah, and your note to self about hat and chin - I got you beat, girlie! There is the BEST picture ever (and by best I really mean WORST) of me, years ago, next to a mmm, shall we call him "cute boy" where I have a hat on and my scarf wrapped like 20 times around my neck and I seriously look like a pumpkin face with no neck. It was awesome. Especially since I was so banking on that being a cute picture. So much for being cute in snowclothes. I am just convinced it is impossible. So come hang with me and you will feel better about your CUTE picture! You guys are darling.