Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A Hard Goodbye

Dear Louisa,
This morning we went with you to visit your orphanage to give you a chance to say goodbye. Dad and I wanted to meet your friends and nannies. I think that you knew it was going to be a hard day because you woke up screaming in the night and wouldn't eat hardly any breakfast.

We stopped on the way to get some treats for your friends--Penny told us that suckers were always a favorite for the kids. We should have known because your sister loves suckers too.

Your old home is a very tall building. When we drove up to the gate you sat right up in my lap and got very excited because you recognized it. There are lots of Chinese lanterns in the lobby--with an indoor jungle gym--you were very happy to be there. We met with the woman who is in charge of all the smaller children there. You spent the first two years of your life on the second floor. Older children live on the upper floors.

From the moment we walked in the door everyone called out your name--janitors, staff, older kids, younger kids--everyone at the Fuzhou SWI knows who you are! You waved and smiled at everyone.

We took the elevator to the second floor. As soon as we got off the elevator, a young girl (16) who has lived her whole life in the orphanage saw you and screamed, "MI!" She had some crooked arms and legs but came running down the hall with her arms reached out for you. You threw your body out to meet her and grabbed her around her neck and cried tears of joy. You both hugged and danced together in the hallway. All the other nannies were then screaming your name and you hugged and cried with each of them. All my life I won't ever forget that moment. It was such a special, bittersweet moment for everyone there.

The director asked you to come back to us, but you were very upset. You screamed and cried very hard because you wanted to stay with them. I know that they loved you and you loved them. It was hard for everyone--it was hard for me and dad not to cry because we could see that it was heartbreaking for you to leave the only home you have ever known.

Here is what I know for sure--you are a brave and special girl. There have been so many prayers that I have prayed that your Heavenly Father would send special people, angels, and miracles to watch out for and take care of you. Today I witnessed a love even beyond what I imagined possible for this circumstance. I don't ever want you to doubt that these women did far beyond what is expected--don't ever take it for granted.

I can see that you have a great capacity to love and care for other children who are very sick and have great disabilities. I know that you have been doing your part to help them. Never forget to watch out for those who are less fortunate--it will bless your life a thousand fold if you will do so.

Life is a long journey. You will have incredible opportunities to do great things because you have been given a chance to come with us, but I hope that somehow you will push yourself even further for those friends who will never leave.

I love you.
Mom

5 comments:

BagLady said...

Oh, my. Breathtaking.

Unknown said...

We had a very similar experience when we adopted Lian---such a bittersweet day. Certainly not easy, but so worth it for both you and Lou, and the people who cared for her. I am glad you were able to visit.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

Oh, Rose. You are amazing. No. Amazing is not the right word. Inspirational? Awe-Inspiring? I don't know. Nothing seems adequate to describe the incredible fullness I feel in my heart for a woman that I've known for such a short time. Thank you for being you and thank you for your phenomenal example of Christlike love and selflessness.

jen said...

What a tender letter. Made me tear up!