So my latest expectation was Friday afternoon. Jeff and I took the kids to the zoo. It was supposed to be 60 degrees-very sunny. We got there and the wind was blowing, it was completely overcast and the kids never slept a wink the entire drive (i.e., no naps). I was already crushed. (see what I mean??)
Despite the questionable weather conditions we headed out. I had been really talking up the whole experience and I was certain that the kids were going to love it. Well, apparently, the zoo is a terrifying experience. The torture began shortly after Jeff petted a FAKE, BRONZE statue of an elephant and it had an internal sound system that let out a loud, "honk!" Lachlan literally turned around and started running for the main gates. I hate to admit it, but it was hilarious! Her fear continued all the way to the Feline Habitats. As you can see, she is running from this bronze tiger (I placed her next to it to get a cute picture). The hits just kept on coming, literally, because Jack smashed his head into a marble sculpture. It didn't leave a mark because it was already a spot on his head that was previously bruised from a prior incident. And last, but not least, the train...Lachlan's favorite book is the "Little Engine That Could" so I thought for sure it would be a big hit. Jeff asked her, "Did you like the train ride?" Her response, "No, scary". The photograph is quite deceiving because it was taken pre-ride. So the question remains: What did they like?? Well, this waterfall. We actually looked at it more than any other thing in the park. Jack must have signed, "water," for 15 minutes. He walked around and actually pointed it out to several other children (who were obviously there for the animals), "wa, wa!" They also pointed out the water in the monkey cages, in the mountain lion pen, with the flamingos, giraffes, elephants, bears and several non-descript puddles within the walking route.


Let me tell you what saved the entire experience for me: Dinner with Becca and Bruce. Oh, sweet salvation. We had excellent Chinese food, fun conversation, ice cream and warm cookies--I drank two diet cokes with a chaser of Excedrin. It's a good thing that I'm a quick healer.
8 comments:
Rose, I feel ya! I have that same experience every day! Makes for a good laugh the next day!
sometimes i wonder why i ever leave my house or take my kids anywhere fun. we just end up paying dearly with the crankies, missed naps and headaches. i love the picture though. jacks little mohawk is darling too.
I have the same problem, but I am trying to be more optimistic. No, not in a "No matter how things turn out it will be okay" kind of way, but more in a "Eventually these people will figure out how to satisfy me" kind of way.
Rose, I am lovin' it. See I can laugh now because I don't fully get it yet... let me say yet again. I know that soon I will be in for a rude awakening. Sounds like you should have kept the pedicure appt. I promise I won't cry and I will give you all the diet coke you need girl!
rose, do you realize I live less than 10 minutes from the zoo! I would loved to have met you guys at the zoo! I am buying a zoo pass this year so I expect you guys to come down. you can stay at the motel... no I take that back, you can stay at the Hampton for like $30
Please take us up on the offer. Ot you can stay at the Hampton at Thanksgiving Point for the same and have all the museums and kids stuff for the same.
No excuses. Devin and I are always begging people.
Okay, I've got to comment on a couple of things:
First, Bec, I LOVE you. Finally, someone understands what I am talking about...I'm actually going to write that in lipstick on my bathroom mirror. Yes, eventually, they will see things my way and just conform--oh, blessed day!!
Second, Jess, I had no idea that you lived so close! I promise to call next time and I'll bring Suz and Sierra with me...actually, it might just be Sierra, Suz is getting very close to the birthing of #2.
Optimism is overrated--but I like your new spin on it. I think the whole high expectation thing runs in the family. I'm a chronic high expectation type of gal too.
Dear Rosie, Take my word for it. The more kids you have, the less your expectations become. You are usually just happy to "make it through the day!" I keep telling the girls, 2 kids? Just add three more and then maybe I'll have sympathy! Love you Auntie R
Post a Comment