Thursday, August 28, 2008

Newest Choir Member


"With a new name and new leadership, American Festival Chorus (formerly Northern Utah Choral Society) has big plans for their inaugural season. In addition to masterworks by Mozart and Beethoven, plans include professional recording opportunities. Under the baton of USU's music department head, Craig Jessop, Mozart's Requiem (November) and Beethoven's Choral Fantasy (April) will round out the season. Both will involve professional orchestras featuring the Fry Street Quartet as well as other music department faculty."
Last night I attended my first practice session for the American Festival Chorus. I am so excited! I have wanted to sing with a large choir for as long as I can remember. For me, this is truly the opportunity of a lifetime. I'd love to say that I'm a great singer, but I'm not. I've never had any formal training. My application said, "high school choir". Okay, it wasn't really even a choir...with 30 people, it was more like a vocal group. So...when I read in the paper that Craig Jessop (former director of Mo Tab Choir, now USU faculty) was going to take over the Northern Utah Choral Society (also called "community choir")--I about jumped out of my chair!! They have recreated the choir--meaning we all had to audition (unaccompanied solo and sight reading), given it a new name, and revamped the schedule. There are now 228 singers in the choir.
Okay, so I auditioned and I thought that I didn't have a prayer. I sat next to a woman who had been singing with the Boston Choir and a man who had sung with Mo Tab for 10 years! Honestly, I folded my application in half so that no one could see that there wasn't anything written down besides high school choir and piano--okay, no offense to X (former piano teacher), but we both know about my commitment level in that category. AND, I had to audition for Craig Jessop and Cory Evans (USU Choral Directory)...it was a little intimidating. I did okay in the sight reading (one measure bombed). I think I may have scored extra points for helping the woman in front of me with a harmony on "Sweet Hour of Prayer"--she was an incredible sight reader. I swear she had been singing that line for 6 weeks. At any rate, I was accepted into the choir. I'm an "Alto I". A shout out to Auntie Grandma (you are my musical hero!!) for telling me that I could sing those high notes if I use my diaphragm. They had over 300 women audition for the choir so this is an incredible privilege.
The best part for me (and I seriously got teary-eyed on the way home thinking about it) is that I'm probably the worst person in my section! It has been so long since I have been challenged by a song--to sing with people who are so talented that I want to go home and get better! I am thrilled to be a part of this--and Jessop is an incredible director. His musical knowledge is..well, there aren't words. It's like taking a 2.5 hour music lesson from one of the greatest choral directors--every week.
I hope that some of you will come to hear us in November. We will be performing a Veteran's Day Concert. The music is written by Mack Wilberg and it is fantastic. The Requiem will also be in November--I've got to study up on Mozart's life so that I can have some insight into the program. Anyone seen the movie Amadeus? Will I have to fast forward or is it tolerable?

17 comments:

Becca Hatch said...

Congratulations! I'm so excited to hear about your newest venture. You will soak up the musical knowledge and be an expert before you know it.

Diana said...

Wow! Congrats, Rose! What an awesome opportunity. I'm jealous!! I'm a wanna-be closet choir member myself. I'd take a chance like you've got in a heartbeat and run with it. Enjoy!!

Kristee and Jared said...

Congrats! That is awesome. You never stop doing incredible things. I love that about you...always up for something new and you just go for it. If you ever perform anywhere South of Logan, let me know. I would love to go, but have a hard time talking my husband into going to far north. :)

Melanie said...

oh man i am so jealious...i wish i could sing with you...congrats

heather and fam said...

Rose that is awesome! I love your voice! I always listen to you in Sacrament, Relief Society, etc. In fact McKenna commented once on how good of a singer you are. Obviously you were good enough to be accepted so who cares about training, some people are just gifted :)You have to tell me exact dates so Brett and I can come. You know he is the singer in our family----I am the one that "mouths the words...."

Erica said...

I have always wanted to be able to sing like you. Congratulations, it is going to be so much fun. Hopefully I will be able to come and see at least one of your performances.

Susie Miner said...

Congratulations!! I can't beleive you didn't call and tell me you MADE IT!! I had to read it on the dumb blog! You are a hoser! I am so proud of you though!

Jenni said...

How exciting! Congratulations... what a great experience!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you! Way to be brave... When I told you "what do you have to lose" I'll admit, I thought it was a long-shot! This will be so wonderful for you and your whole family!!! I can't wait to see you to give you a hug!

jenny said...

how cool is that?!! congratulations you little song bird! sounds super scary to audition. it made me get butterflies just reading the story. it took me back to auditioning for musicals in highschool. oh, the nerves. that takes real guts to do what you did, way to go girl.

Sara Jane said...

Congratulations Rose! That is so awesome. How great to have something that will push you and help you develop your talent further.

Teresa said...

Congratulations Rose! I always knew N.S. choir would make us proud! (:

Emily + Eric said...

Eric was wanting to join the choir too. I think he's too late now! Let us know if there's any more openings. Oh - and I call BS on the whole "I can't sing very well" bit. You bring the house down!

Emily + Eric said...

P.S. We own Amadeus & it's great. I'll bring it to church on Sunday & you can borrow it.

Jessica said...

What a cool acomplishment Rose! I have always wanted to sing. Now I have to get up there to see you in all your siging glory before the bad weather hits.

And the movie, I love it!! I need to watch it again because it has been years.

Arlie's Corner said...

What a thrill for you. At least you had high school choir on your resume. Congratulations. Please let us know dates. Who knows. One of these days I might get to hear you. Auntie R

Brooke said...

Surely singing next to me in Institute Choir played a role in this great accomplishment. :) HA!

I am soooooo proud of you!