Monday, August 11, 2008

Spoiler Alert!

I know that there are a few of you out there who haven't finished the book. Too bad.
And here it is...a non-professional critical review of Breaking Dawn: Again, I am a fan of the series--probably even more now that I am a mom. Most of that is due to the fact that on any given day I would trade all of this to run away with a totally hot vampire and have some real adventure in my life. Adventure that doesn't involve wiping anyone's butt for at least six or seven months. For those of you who haven't started on the series (Sara Jane)--just do it. What's the worst that can happen? Your watch gets flushed down the toilet while you are trying to read about a vampire's love child?? Face facts, its going to happen anyway. Honestly, I think that you would have fun reading them.

Hum, where to begin...I have to say that I REALLY wanted to give this book the ultimate recommendation, but I just couldn't because I felt like there should have been a few chapters dedicated to Edward's point of view. Jacob, Jacob, Jacob,...come on already, we all know that Edward is the real hero of the story, let's see it from his perspective! I do have to give Meyer credit for putting in the alternate perspective. It makes for good literary connections and it gives you a break from Bella's martydom. I loved the wedding. I liked the honeymoon. I was a bit disappointed in the old lusty seduction category. The other books were better written when it came to this part. I didn't need any graphic sex, but to flip the page and have it be the next day...aauuggh. (now, I read your review Brooke and I think that you have been in Young Women's too long--ha.ha, those of us who just sit in the foyer need a little more spice than that!) Okay, what else...oh, I was totally excited about the pregnancy until Edward slipped into a literary coma. His thoughts, feelings, um, gone?? I was also a bit disappointed that Jacob didn't imprint on Leah. What the heck was that whole story line about if she wasn't ever even mentioned in the book after the baby was born?? Meyer wasted a ton of time talking about all of that when she should have spent a little more time on the ending. I didn't mind the name Renesmee until they shortened it to Nessie. barf bag, please. I loved the cottage that Esme gave them. I loved the descriptions of what changed for her when she became a vampire --that was my favorite part of the book. I also had kind of figured that she would be able to overcome her "man-eating" tendencies so I was fine with that, but I thought that Meyer cop'd out when she pulled in the whole "tell Charlie" bit. It should have just been a family secret. Bella should have had something to sacrifice. The ending of this book was the hardest part for me because it felt like a high school term paper. Like the student had dug a big hole and then realized that he was almost at the limit of the number of pages so he wrapped it all up with a big "all-righty" at the end.
Overall, I liked it. The hardest part was that I didn't tear into it for a second time. I was able to read it over a couple of nights instead of pulling an all-nighter...I couldn't say that about the other three. AND...I thought of at least a half-dozen other ways the book could have gone to make it more satisfying. Nonetheless, I give it 4 out of five stars and a high recommendation.

Feel free to post your comments on the book. I would love to hear others book reviews!!

11 comments:

Diana said...

Ahh...I'm among those who haven't started the series yet. My sister is totally hooked and is trying to get me to read it. I've almost been persuaded. We'll see what happens in one glorious week after school starts :-). Well, better make that 2...the little one doesn't start until then.

Erica said...

You already know my feelings on the book. I tried to read it again but I just couldn't do it. It sort of felt like I was wasting my time.

Brooke said...

You've already read my mini-review of the book, but I have to add that I agree with you on the lack of Edward's side of things. I have to say I do love happy endings, so I was satisfied. I also agree with you on "Nessie." What the bells?
I thought this one had more depth than the others because of the whole child factor, and all the complexities that are finally resolved. But you're right. Things were not resolved with Leah, and that's a bummer. I thought something more would happen. Also, I liked Edward better in this one for some reason. Also, I fear that the movie is going to be a total bummer. Who did the casting?! Seriously.

Well, I guess I had more to say than I thought!

Brooke said...

Hey, Rose, I found something for you...

http://thecutestblogontheblock.com/backgrounds.php?cat=53

Scroll down to the last background on this screen. It was made just for you!

Jessica said...

Entertainment Weekly gave it a D. I wonder if you can read the article about it online, because it totally cracked me up. Maren asked me, "what so funny moma?"

I have the mag here to quote a few things.The reviewer said that Meyer takes her supernatural love story several bizarre steps to far: Like you, she felt there was disappointment in the bedroom bits. "Meyer writes about even furniture wrecking sex with the decorum of a Victorian schoolmistress."

When I read that Bella starts vomiting "a fountain of blood while gestating a vampire I was disturbed!
The last paragraph of the article says: "Meyer wisely turns the narration over to Jacob, a warmhearted werewolf...He becomes a tenuoous anchor to sanity, as outrageous new plot twists sprout like kudzu. "I felt like-like I don't know what. Like this wasn't real. Like I was in some Goth version of a bad sitcom." Jacob confides before he too is swept up in the narrative mayhem.
So do we, Jacob. So do we.

I still think I will stick to liking evil rip your throat out vampires, rather than vampires filled with gooey mushiness. But I am glad that you enjoyed the series. And your review cracked me just as much.

Becca Hatch said...

I don't mind the spoilers, even though I haven't read it yet- kind of answers my question of if I should take the plunge and purchase or wait for the library. Thanks for the review, and I still think we should start a blogger's book club. Think about the logistics.

Jeff and Rose said...

Oh, Brooke, I haven't completely lost my mind....besides, I hate chess. :)

Kimberly said...

I only read the first one . . . I'm with Jess. The Vampire stories I loved in Jr. High with the scary kind were much more interesting to me . . . but maybe now I will try to read the rest. Might be fun to do while pregnant, I didn't realize her Vampires could reproduce the human-like way.

Sara Jane said...

Rose, you crack me up. I will just have to jump into the inevitable. I guess I am curious enough to go on a 2-3 day binge now.

the mama monster said...

i hated the damn kids name. barf. i agree with the imprinting thing and leah, what was the point? and also what is with her dreams about the volturi coming true but her child was a boy... i also agree with the way to tame sex talk. um hello we got more deails when they weren't married and making out. but i liked it overall.

Scott-n-Allison said...

Hi! Erica sent me your way after I posted my thoughts on the book. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Still looking forward to the movie, though. Any excuse for a girl's night out!