Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Cheesecake Factory

As in...I'm going to be as big as a factory if I don't quit eating cheesecake.

I baked one.
It was a success. Last week I baked a Raspberry Rhubarb pie, it was good. This was better. The Raspberry Rhubarb recipe was from the current issue of Cooking Light. I'm a huge fan of that magazine. I've also been subscribing to Cooks Illustrated. It has slowly been inspiring me to get out of my comfort zone, hence the cheesecake. I used a friend's recipe and their (Cooks) tips for success. As you can see, I did have one little crack in the top. I have to admit that the eggs weren't quite room temperature so that may have been the culprit. The texture was very good. I even made my own cherry "sauce" for the top. I just used the standard Betty Crocker recipe. Very easy, but the sauce could have stood for a bit of lemon juice and maybe a tab of butter to richen up the flavor.


I also tried the Miso-Glazed Salmon and the Grilled New Potatoes, recipes from Cooks Illustrated for dinner last night. I had every intension of taking photographs, but completely forgot as pure chaos erupted right before we sat down to eat. The salmon was better than what you can get at the local steakhouse and if I would have known how easy it was to prepare...highest recommendation.

6 comments:

Becca Hatch said...

Poor Lachlan and the mosquitoes- she must have sweet blood.

P.S. Next time you make a cheesecake, pour a 1/3 to 1/2 cup of key lime juice in there. You'll thank me later for that tip?

We on for Saturday? I haven't bought my ticket yet, but I will if we are a go.

Maeve said...

I am a fan of Cooks Illustrated too! Try their french toast recipe. You will never go back. I have an online subscription.

Diana said...

Yum! I know where I'm coming for dinner next time I'm in town! :-)

jenny said...

ditto maeve, that french toast is to die for. that cheesecake looks amazing. i am salivating as i write this. i just might have to try that one for fathers day this weekend.
that post about jack cracked me up. the tv coma just about killed me because desmond does the same one, i was actually relieved to see another kid with that dazed/possessed look on their face. and the mood swings............oh, i just say that desmond is bipolar. heaven help me if he turns out to be!

jenny said...

oh, and my legs look just like poor lachlans neck. i have never had so many mosquito bites at once, i feel her pain, it is horrible!

Sara Jane said...

That cheesecake looks so good. I have a couple of recipes I should send your way. If you figure out the cracking bit let me know because I've never made one without it cracking.