I love my friends. I know that some of my closest friends are also relatives, which may, to the rest of the world appear as an obligation. But we know the truth don't we.
Having girlfriends in particular is important.
I didn't always feel so strongly about this. There was a time when I would have said that having a best friend (for me that is Jeff) would have been enough. Forever. Yeah, I would have said that would have been enough.
But that was before,
when I lived for my education and my job.
Don't get me wrong. I've had the most wonderful lot of friends my entire life. I tend to attract a lot of attention (not always for the right reasons, but nonetheless).
But there was a time when I just had my girlfriends on the back burner and I was okay with that...
Then I quit my job to wait for our adoption to be finalized.
And I had a horrible pregnancy. And a failed adoption. And post-partum depression. And then adopted a child who (for a while) I thought was probably severely handicapped.
And my girlfriends have always saved me.
You always know that I want to have a Diet Coke with Lime.
You forgive. Even when I don't deserve it.
You validate.
And sometimes we just need to know that we aren't completely crazy awful people for having confessed our darkest secrets.
I know that there are people who have worse problems. Worse heartbreak. They have bodies that fail, children that are sick, tragedy that seems so overwhelming that you can hardly breathe when reading their stories. Some of these women are your other girlfriends.
I love you even more because you recognize that MY problems are hard for me. Even though they are less so than someone else's. That says a lot about the kind of girlfriends that I have...
Oh, I am so blessed.
so blessed.
so blessed.
4 comments:
What's that they say about friends...they're the people who know all your secrets and like you anyway!
Hopefully we'll be able to actually get together sometime in the near future and gripe about life together in person. :-)
amen rose, amen. I'm feeling especially bitter about men tonight so for me, reading this was perfect.
I love you Rose. You are the kind of friend that every girl hopes for. I know I can always come to you and get honest imput and truth about anything. You are such a support to me. I miss you like crazy and can't wait to be close again. Danny is starting work tonight for the summer, so I am not sure if we are going to make it to Logan this week... but I would LOVE it if we could meet up in Layton or something and have a girls night. I need it!
any girl that can call you her friend is a lucky one. love ya rose.
Post a Comment