Friday, August 21, 2009

Fourth of July

Ahh, the dog days of summer...
Despite the fact that it is 100 degrees outside today, I feel like we are slowly drifting into the winter. Winter is so long in this part of the world, nearly eight months of the year. It really doesn't surprise me that I am starting to feel the anxiousness of "must cram in some more" before we have to resort to indoor life. Don't get me wrong, I can be pretty tough about the winter, but winter is a long time with little skinny children...they can't keep their boots and their gloves on (and even if they did, I swear that they have monkeys making kids outerwear)!

July came and went. August is moving even faster (thanks to the sudden influx of work and teaching responsibilities). I better catch up before we get any further into the future.

Over the fourth of July weekend, I went on tour with the American Festival Chorus. There were concerts here in CV, one in Idaho Falls, and another at the Sun Valley Resort. The tour was optional, so only about half of the choir was in attendance, but it was an incredible experience. We shared the stage with Maureen McGovern. To be honest, I wasn't that familiar with her work, but it was a great experience. Here's what I know for sure: there are people like me who are good enough to sing in a group...and then there are people who can sing by themselves (I'm talking people with skill)...and then there are people like Ms. McGovern who have a gift. The woman's voice was controlled like an instrument. I can't say that I've ever heard anything like it before in my life. She honestly could scale like a trumpet, actually more like a fine jazz trumpet player. Here's also how I know that she was amazing--the woman was wearing a scrunchy to pull up her hair, while donning a jacket that looked like a tapestry from King Lear (complete with fringe). You have got to be so damn good that people like me don't even notice until intermission...AND then, say...wow, she's an amazing singer and move on to the next performance.

Hum, I'm sitting here thinking about how ironic it is that I just criticized this woman's attire while knowing full well that I was wearing a black mumu with gold glitter at the same events. Ahh, what I won't do for the thrill of fame. ha.ha.ha.

Jeff and the kids were able to come up to Sun Valley. We stayed throughout the weekend and had a chance to visit Red Fish Lake and tour the resort. I love Sun Valley. It reminds me distinctly of Park City with even better mountains. The resort was very lovely. We really aren't used to staying at places where people help you get in and out of your car, so it was a luxurious stay. I also found out on this trip that I actually like poached eggs. I should have taken a picture of my favorite breakfast (so good I ordered it twice), but many of you know I'm not capable of waiting that long to eat. For so many years I have lived in an open fear of the poached egg. I am pleased to report that I have overcome and will now be watching a YouTube clip of Julia Child so that I can learn to make them properly.
I forgot to mention that we stopped at Craters of the Moon on our way there. I cannot even begin to imagine what Lewis and Clark thought when they discovered this place. Here's a shot from far away.
Close up. Yeah, looks like a moon rock to me. Jeff has always had a secret desire to find a meteor. He thinks it's his ticket to financial freedom. I think it's freaking weird.

Jeff with the kids. The rocks are so sharp. I kept waiting for one of them to fall and cut their hand off. Not to mention the scorching heat as the sun beats down on this center of global warming.

The Sun Valley Lodge. Thank you for the discount rooms and the cozy walk-in closet.

Family at Red Fish Lake. You'll notice how overcast it appears. It actually was more than overcast--I thought for sure we were going to get caught in a massive thunderstorm all day. We were blessed with a break in the weather and cool temperatures. It rained so hard at the concerts that water came flooding off the roof and started running down the stairs of the amphitheater.

Red Fish Lake

In the water. We have got to bring the canoe next time!


We rented some paddle boats and headed out towards a black thundercloud...idiots are never afraid of lightening during a summer storm. Lachlan loves the water. She wanted to jump off the boat and swim to shore. Jack, inherited my genes and preferred to hold onto the side of the boat the whole time.
See the panic in his little face. That's about how I always look while on a boat...
Stanley, Idaho. We stopped for dinner. I had no idea that this town only contains dirt roads. So beautiful you almost can't breathe, but only dirt roads. I kept thinking about that old Disney Movie, 'the Wilderness Family' as we drove out of town. I actually saw that movie at a 'sticky shoe' theater with my cousins when I was very young and I used to think how CRAZY they were for moving out to the middle of nowhere...honestly, I bet this town has an old 'three-toed' Grizzly that gets in people's garbage and you gotta know someone has a pet racoon.

8 comments:

Melanie said...

Did you get a new camera? All the pics look amazing & its nice to hear from you again!! The kids are getting so much bigger & adorable.

Jeff and Rose said...

Mel, I've had the camera for a long time...I just finally made some adjustments to these pics in Photoshop. Usually, I'm just too lazy to care.

Becca Hatch said...

That picture of Salmon made me want to get in the car and drive that immediately.

Enjoyed the stacy/clinton commentary re: Maureen's outfit, but must note that your husband's shirt looks like it came right off her back.

Bless his heart.

Jeff and Rose said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenni said...

I am going to add The Wilderness Family to my Netflix list. I had forgotten about that movie. The kids will get a kick out of it.

Erica said...

As I was reading your post I read American Festivus Chorus....

Brooke said...

GORGEOUS photos! I need to get up there!

jenny said...

oh those photos made my heart ache. i miss the west so badly. looks like a great outing with the kiddos.