I know that not all of you are on Goodreads.com--so I am posting this to the blog to make sure that you don't miss this incredible book. I give it 5 stars. Here is my review:MUST READ! This is clearly a well-researched and extremely well-written book. Hillenbrand created a vivid picture of each character which made this book equally heartbreaking and gut-wrenching, but ultimately a book that will forever change your view of Pacific airmen.
I couldn't stop thinking about how little I ever asked my own grandfather about his experiences as a pilot. I also wish that I knew which kind of plane he flew (cousins, please email me if you know). Absolutely fascinating. Miraculous that anyone survived--and in the end I do believe that God did spare many of their lives (in more than just physical ways).
And the sharks. I just simply cannot imagine the intensity of the sharks. I am not over it. I wish that I had someone to gape with regarding the sharks! not.over.it.
I am also unresolved regarding the final outcome of many of the Japanese POW officers. I will save my comments for the book club, but this will require some personal resolution....also, the atomic bomb. Devastating, but by the time the war is over--after reading this perspective--I will never view such a drastic end in such a critical way. I cried in this section of the book out of sheer relief for those prisoners. I was so grateful for the shocking destruction.
This should be required reading for humanity's sake.
I couldn't stop thinking about how little I ever asked my own grandfather about his experiences as a pilot. I also wish that I knew which kind of plane he flew (cousins, please email me if you know). Absolutely fascinating. Miraculous that anyone survived--and in the end I do believe that God did spare many of their lives (in more than just physical ways).
And the sharks. I just simply cannot imagine the intensity of the sharks. I am not over it. I wish that I had someone to gape with regarding the sharks! not.over.it.
I am also unresolved regarding the final outcome of many of the Japanese POW officers. I will save my comments for the book club, but this will require some personal resolution....also, the atomic bomb. Devastating, but by the time the war is over--after reading this perspective--I will never view such a drastic end in such a critical way. I cried in this section of the book out of sheer relief for those prisoners. I was so grateful for the shocking destruction.
This should be required reading for humanity's sake.
1 comment:
I read this book in 2.5 days; I could not stop even when people begged me to. Grandpa flew a B-29.
Post a Comment