Mid-June 2011:
Mid-August 2011:
My irises were incredible this year. The mild temperatures really helped, but I think that mostly they are just finally established enough to give some incredible blooms!
We had to build a shanty town for our chickens this spring. Jack is helping Jeff put up the wire. Yeah, it's ugly, but they were so destructive last year that I just couldn't bear the desecration. We also downsized to four. Two of the chickens went to live with Grandma Carol--which is literally like winning the chicken lottery. The other four suckers drew the short straw and ended up with a summer of purgatory. Nevertheless, the yard looks better. We still have one that is an escape artist and will probably be the cause of much stricter enforcement next summer.Overall, I am still loving them. The best part has been that I can get rid of so much of the kids' food waste without the overwhelming guilt.
I only did one bike race this whole summer. I love Little Red Riding Hood. It really is the prettiest ride of the whole season. I lost my hair elastics around mile 35 and had to borrow some electrical tape from one of the volunteers to use to keep the hair out of my face. Other than that, it was a nice ride.
We ran through the sprinklers quite a bit this year. I couldn't find the plugs to the nice big pool that we bought last year. I "put them away in a safe place" somewhere last fall and I'll be damned if the things haven't just disappeared. Honestly, I should just have a system where an alarm will start sounding if I even think the thought, "I"ll put them here and then they will be safe until I need them." It has bothered me for four months now that I can't remember where that "safe" place is...I'm sure that I'll find them around Halloween or maybe even after Labor Day.So while we were out running through the sprinklers one afternoon I noticed Bruce slinking across the road. He was practically on his belly he was so low (which, seriously isn't that far because he is such a fatty). At any rate, I took this picture right before watching him take a running leap and jump right onto the side of the neighbor's parakeet cage! The very quiet Vietnamese grandma came screaming out of the house. I didn't even know the cage was there. It was sitting in the shade of those trees in the yard--I guess, letting the precious birds have some fresh air. Bruce weighs at least 15 pounds and it was so lucky that grandma had invested in the large quality cage because he would have knocked the whole thing to the ground if it had been a Walmart version. Bruce just clung to the side of the cage while it rocked back and forth. The birds were freaking. Freaking. Out. He didn't even try to run home until it looked like grandma was going to beat him off. I was mortified. I tried to look all tough with the cat. Clapped my hands and told him to get in the house--but grandma didn't buy any of it. She had the grand-kids pack up the birds and bring them inside. I haven't seen them since. Although, I do find that Bruce will sit in those bushes and remain very, very still....just in case.
The kids helped me paint all of these bird houses for the porch. We even glued little birds to them. It was so fun that I think we'll do something for each of the seasons.
I found this bench on KSL.com for $10! It needed a serious overhaul, but it was fun to get it looking so cute. You can't tell from this picture, but I painted it teal underneath the black so that I could sand out some little accent points. I really like how it turned out.






No comments:
Post a Comment