Ramona Quimby Learns the Star Spangled.
Lachlan was asked in May to give the Article of Faith in Primary. Jeff figured that she could probably memorize it if we taught her the song. Well, sure enough she had it memorized in a couple of days. She was able to perform it perfectly. When I asked her about it later in the day this is what she said, "Yeah, I did it. But nobody even stood up and cheered or even clapped when I was done." I explained to her that we don't cheer or clap for songs at church because we are trying to be reverent. She put a frown on her face and said, "well, I wanted them to clap like they do after a song on "Miracle Idol!" [American Idol]
I later told my dad about this incident and he said that maybe Jeff should teach her the National Anthem. If she knew that song then maybe he could get her a gig at one of the Girls Basketball games. So we started with the National Anthem--or as Lachlan calls it, "The Star Spangled"--she actually refers to all flags now as "hey, mom, there's old star spangled". In the song she is giving a salute cause it's just "what the people do, mom."
At any rate, she not only memorized the "National Anthem", but also "My Country 'Tis of Thee" AND much to my chagrin "We're Comin' To America"--a little piece of love that came from a patriotic CD that Jeff burned for her. There's nothing quite like waking up to that song every day for eight weeks.
I've mentioned it to close friends before, but raising Lachlan is a lot like raising Ramona Quimby. I actually drank some old cough syrup with hydrocodone last week just so that I could get through one more afternoon of her singing Katy Perry's Firework...or was it Dynamite? Can't be sure. We can't even get in the car without her starting a song. In fact, her knowledge of lyrics has become so good that if someone is speaking she can pick a word out of that conversation and sing a song about it. For instance, if I tell Jack that he has a haircut at one o'clock, not even five seconds will pass before Lachlan sings, "It's a quarter-after one, I'm a little drunk and I need you now--ow, ow. I said I wouldn't call...." You honestly can't believe that it is possible to sing a song about every situation--but I am telling you that it is ABSOLUTELY possible!
We currently don't have any gigs lined up, but she still asks every day when she is going to sing and [quote] "have people clap for me or maybe even pay me a little money or something. It would be good if I could earn some dollars."
3 comments:
I LOVE this! She is such a good singer. I am very impressed. When she does get her gig you will have to put of the footage of that, too.
AND, after paying to have my cabinets done, I would totally do it myself next time. Yes, it would be time consuming, but if you are organized it won't be as bad as you would think. And, if you take all the doors off and move them to the garage you would only be out of comission for two or three days while you did the structural parts inside.
Use the Benjamin Moore Fresh Start Latex Primer and the BM Satin Impervo Oil based paint. It was like pudding and the finish is so smooth and amazing. It is definitely worth the extra $15 a gallon for your kitchen. You obviously want it to hold up!
I had mine lightly sanded, one coat of primer and two coats of paint. It looks really good. I think one more coat would be even better, but I am satisfied :)
She is absolutely adorable.
Post a Comment