Sunday, October 28, 2007

Jack Gets A Tooth...

Jack proudly displays his new tooth.

Jack gets a tooth....and Mom gets tired, depressed and then very hungry for something sweet...and thus, begins the cycle of up five pounds, down five pounds, up five pounds, down five pounds.

In all seriousness, I was totally off of sugar last month. I cut out all hydrogenated oils, white flour, sugar (anything over 4 grams)--I even started training for my 10K next spring,(feeling so great!) BUT last week I took a huge nose dive when Jack started cutting these teeth (top, front two). He is normally such a wonderfully smiley, happy-go-lucky baby. And I have KNOWN that this is the one thing that is keeping me a sane individual--and I discovered that I was MORE than right. He screamed, and screamed, and wouldn't take his naps, or even sleep more than two hours in the night...and screamed the rest of the night for FOUR days.

It was so hard. People tell you that teething is rough. I absolutely had NO IDEA that it was going to be one of the definingly difficult things of my life. The worst is that there really isn't anything you can do for them. You just hold them and rock them and pray that they will go to sleep...and then you threaten to destroy (with fire) anyone who even breathes in their direction. I even tried to get him to sleep with us in our bed and he just was ballistic--aauuggh. It was a bad deal.

The other thing that I learned about myself is that when I get tired and overly frustrated I am so easily prone to get depressed. I think that it is mostly because these are things that I cannot control. And I LOVE to be in control (or at least think that I am). I couldn't even make myself get on the treadmill. I just wanted to sit around and be sad with Jack. The next thing I know, I'm having white bread toast with cinnamon sugar with a side of Trix (thank heavens, I hadn't opened up the bag of Cocoa Puffs!)

At any rate, Jack finally sprouted himself a beautiful tooth. I couldn't be more proud. He also returned to his normal, albeit fantastic disposition. I, however, took a bit longer to call off the pity party. I chowed my way through a variety of soda drinks, more white bread and pasta and real bacon while visiting Grandma Carver this weekend. I also learned (thank you to Aunt Pat) how to make these outstanding candy/carmel apples. (See posting above) I've always wanted to learn and I was just hungry enough for sweets to take on the challenge. They weren't difficult (to make or eat)- and 5 or 6 apples later I feel like I'm ready to get back on the wagon (tomorrow, of course). Not to mention, they look like I SLAVED away for hours in the kitchen--I gave many of them away to neighbors and friends and they were completely in awe.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Yikes. John has yet to cut any teeth. I am hoping to delay it as long as possible. Especially since once he gets teeth I think I will wean him. I mean, he has had 7 months already!

Hang in there. And where your black stretchy pants proudly.

Jessica said...

Sad to say, that Maren never really complained abou her teeth! But now I am dealing with a bossy, moody toddler! Which in turn makes me the same.
And I am glad to know that someone ohter than myself isn't following Weight Watchers properly. I paid a hefty bill after missing meetings for 4 weeks! Keep trying. I am back on the wagaon today.

the mama monster said...

Yuck- once when ezra got a tooth he bit me so hard that i had to go to the dr. because i thought i needed stitches on my boob! it seriously hurt and was super embarassing! no signs of a tooth from eli though. with ezra we used hylands teething tablets and they were amazing... they are homeopathic and safe to use everyday when they are teething and can also be used with pain medicine...anyways they got us through some rough times. i also agree on the getting depressed with no sleep thing. i think thats why some moms go crazy.
oh and i love those apples, we made some last week of the white chocolate variety. i would love your dark chocolate recipe!