Friday, October 31, 2008

Ms. O'Leary

I almost burned the house down last night. I dropped a small paring knife with a plastic handle inside the oven. It fell down into the heating vents on our gas stove. It went down so far and the oven was so hot that it ignited. Black smoke was pouring out of the oven--and the whole interior was filled with flame. I'll be completely honest when I say that I didn't have a clue what I should do. There aren't a lot of safety tips for lighting a piece of plastic on fire. I grabbed the fire extinguisher from under the kitchen sink, but as quickly as the fire started it went out.

There were shards of melted plastic covering every surface in the kitchen. This morning I found a giant black ring of toxic something coating the edge of the stove. Jeff took apart the oven and the only remaining trace of the knife was the tip of the metal blade.

It's about 35 degrees outside and I have every door and window open. I'm trying to get rid of the smell. I'd take the kids outside until it is better, but it is so cold that we are just going to take our chances and bump up our antioxidant intake for the next few days.

4 comments:

Diana said...

Ohh...I just LOVE that smell! Matthew threw an inflatable beach ball against our gas fireplace (rated as a furnace) last year. The vinyl instantly fused to the glass and started to burn. The whole house was full of smoke. The smell was so awful that I actually called poison control!

35 degrees? It hasn't been below 50 in these parts! Weird!! We slept with our window open last night.

Anonymous said...

don't worry Rose, when I used to bake "brownies" and "elves" in my oven, all kinds of noxious fumes escaped into my lungs....and look at me, normal as can be. By the way, did you hear the "stroke" story yet? love you

Live More Now said...

oh gosh! I tried to light my house on fire the other day by making "toast" which requires a pan since I don't have a toaster. Apparently I forgot about the pan and went downstairs and Luke discovered it all shortly before all the fire alarms in the entire house started squawking. Not as bad as yours, but at least now I know the fire alarms ARE all connected and they do work.

P.S. I want to talk to you about your adoption experience. I am thinking about it. Love you.

Jenni said...

I have had a few stove fires myself. Never fun.