Friday, August 28, 2009

Competition

Dear Becca,

I see your canning statistics. Mine do not compare, although I think that next year we should have some sort of sport 'handicap'. A domestic B.A. competition should start on a level playing field. You have Janet, and from what I gather from my sources, may have also recruited a sister-in-law. You also have access to what appears to be the Dole Produce Plant. My peaches aren't even ripe yet!! Come on!
Nonetheless, I will forge ahead.

The morning harvest: 4 lbs. of tomatoes, a large zucchini, 2 cucumbers and an egg.

Jack hiding in the Scarlet Pole Beans. Next year I am going to build a permanent structure--this one was only 6 feet tall--way to short!

Black-eyed Susans. These are currently too tall for this location. I'll have to transplant them in the spring. My first batch of Bread and Butter Pickles. Pickles turned out to be easier than I thought they would be...I have since ripped out my cucumber plants because there were just too many to deal with, and besides, I made 15 pints of pickles. How many can we possibly eat?

4 comments:

Brooke said...

Geez, friends. I'm feeling like such a weenie right now. Martha would be so displeased with me this year. I just can't muster any ambition to do anything that involves sticky floors. But the plums are getting ripe. And there are approximately 10 tons of them. Bleh. Tie on the apron and get to work, I guess.

jenny said...

those pickles look fantastic. i love, love, homemade pickles.

Live More Now said...

YuM! Now I am craving pickes. And I don't think I have any. Thanks for that! ;)

Live More Now said...

Alright, I've had major issues with spelling today. Gosh! Pickles. I was craving pickles, not pickes. I don't even know what pickes are. :)