Thursday, November 12, 2009

Veteran's Day

I wanted to post this yesterday, but between the 4AM wake-up call, the University of Utah teaching rotation, and the Veteran's Day choir concert, it just wasn't a possibility. Nonetheless, I have given some thought to this post.

Last night, we (me and the other 299 folks in the American Festival Chorus) hosted our 2nd annual Veteran's Day event at the KCH. I love it. I never tire of singing patriotic music. We closed the concert last night with the 'Battle Hymn of the Republic'--and honestly, when those men sang, "In the beauty of the lilies, Christ was born across the sea..." Oh, it was glorious. GLORIOUS! I had tears running down my face because it was so spiritual.

Military service.
Can I be really honest?
The cold, hard truth is that if Jack or Lachlan came to me and said, "I want to be in the military," I would freak out. freak. out.
Not because I don't love this country. Not because I don't have an absolute ache for every soul to feel safety, peace and freedom.
But because I'm not really sure that there will be an end to these current conflicts. And there aren't going to be any simple solutions. And more lives will be lost. And I think that it is going to take something great and terrible to end it all--and I'm not certain whether that will mean something like Hiroshima or something like Vietnam.

What I know for sure is that there are good people who wouldn't freak out. Yesterday evening, a Lieutenant Corporal shared his experiences of what it was like to pray with his fellow soldiers before they search for IEDs along roadsides in Iraq. I was so touched by his humility and strength. Ultimately, by his faith, that despite the circumstance they were going to do their impossible jobs. And I'm grateful for that.

My favorite part of the concert is when we sing the military anthems and ask the veterans to stand while we sing their prospective songs. Dr. Jessop always salutes them and they cheer and really it doesn't get any better than that moment. And I think about Grandpa Carver, he would have gotten a real kick out of being saluted by Craig Jessop (btw, he's a Lieutenant Colonel in the Air Force). Two short guys, with big hearts, they would have really enjoyed sharing Air Force stories. So for my grandfather, my Uncle Alan (stationed in ABQ), my dear friends the Meeks (stationed in CA)...I'll leave you with the best part of the song:

"Off we go into the wild blue yonder,
Climbing high into the sun;
Here they come zooming to meet our thunder,
At 'em boys, Give 'er the gun!
Down we dive, spouting our flame from under,
Off with one hell of a roar!
We live in fame or go down in flame.
Nothing can stop the U.S. Air Force!"

3 comments:

Meek House of Insanity said...

Thanks Rose! I love patriotic music as well and when you posted the lyrics at the bottom of your post, I immediately heard my almost 10 year old singing them at the top of his lungs! I have more than one child that, because of their dad, wants to join the Air Force and become a pilot!

Melanie said...

I just finished reading a book called the lone survivor about a navy seal in Afgan...and we was on the only left from his team. Good read even though its terribly sad.

Jessica said...

It is 12:30 and I should be in bed, but instead I am up peeing my pants from laughing so hard and shedding tears over your entries!
I have not read blogs in so long.
Boy have I missed out.

The 4 of you are too damn great! Will I ever see you guys again?
In the spring, you and suzi and the kids have to come to thanksgiving point.