Monday, January 31, 2011

The Troubles with Nonfiction

Years ago, I purchased the book, My Mom's A Vet. It's your basic version of elementary career-based nonfiction. A solid authentic portrayal in the day of a country veterinarian. I've always had it in my office as a reference book of sorts for building lesson plans.

This morning Jack was asking if he could sit on my lap while I worked. I was desperately trying to finish a lesson plan so I told him to select a book from my shelf and read it.

He picked one with really great pictures.


(this is my childhood revisited in this photograph--if I had a nickel for every tail that I held "out of the way...")
I heard him say, "What is that!?"
I said, "It is a baby calf being born."

"From its BUTT?!"
"No, it's a special hole for the baby to come out of..."
"It it looks terrible!"

I did my best matter-of-fact detailing of what was happening in each picture. We also discussed belly-buttons (he calls it the buddy-bellen). I figured that I did a pretty good job because he said, "Okay, can I go now," with a complete dead-pan tone.

After lunch, I heard him telling Lachlan to come and see "the new-boren baby dinosaurs." He told her to hurry so that he could get the wet slime off of them before they choked to death.

[sigh]

6 comments:

Erica said...

Oh man, I was a little horrified of what I was going to read after I saw the first picture, but I will laugh about this for days.

Becca Hatch said...

...and then he said, "Like a puppet."

Our kids run on the same batteries.
Want Kiki to give him the straight dope on uteruses?

Emily said...

This is too good. Everything about this is so hilarious.

Murray Ohana said...

I didn't know calves came out blue...weird.

Jenni said...

This is why I need to get my kids out of California. They will never experience anything like this in the OC. I did show them the pictures. They were a little taken back. Addie was shocked. She wants to be a vet. However, she decided she wants to deliver puppies and not calves.

Sara said...

I will also be laughing about this and the "wedding" for days as well.