Friday, March 30, 2012

Cache Children's Choir

I actually prayed that Lachlan would love music. I prayed it even more when I found out I was having a boy (Jack)--because I wanted her to love it like I loved it.

Well, guess what? She does.

I had grand illusions about what children's choir would be all about--the reality is that they sing "The Grinch" in the frozen foods section at Maceys. Eh, so what. She still loves it. There are some real odd ball kids in this group (see the group photo at the Christmas concert, look for the dude on the front row with his hand down his pants), but they're harmless and Lachlan has learned some good skills regarding how to concentrate when the person next to you is trying to ______________ (insert weirdness here: lick your shoes, pick nose, build a whistle out of garbage). I figure if she can learn pitch and rhythm with this group she is capable of ruling the world AND singing the crap out of it.

They did sing one song with the older choir that required some harmony and I could tell that this was Lachlan's favorite song. She is already talking about how fun it will be to move on to the "bigger choir". I'm looking forward to next year. I made Jack go with her twice during "friend month"--at first he was completely resistant, but even he learned to cope with the boy who wanted to rub his back the whole time. I've almost got him convinced that it will be fun. I've never seen a 5-year-old sing the bass part, but we're about to...
Susie brought "The General" to one of our concerts. And I love this picture of Irene with the Chinese moms--their interactions are so classic. There are three Chinese boys in L's group, one set of twins and their cousin. They are SO naughty. After the concert, Irene was living it up with Chinese grandma and she wanted Lachlan to give the boys a friendly hug or something and Lachlan was so ticked. She was not excited to be a part of that crowd. Looking back now, it all seems so hilarious--like an episode of Arrested Development--even more crazy because it's taking place at the local grocery store.

They had a very nice formal concert at the Kent. I love hearing how the choirs get better as the kids get older.


3 comments:

Erica said...

Way to go Lachlan! Can't wait for Jack to be the bass in the children's choir!

Kimberly said...

yes, I am looking forward to video next time . . .

Live More Now said...

I love you, Rose. I am so excited for more news on your growing family --- I am so super duper happy for you!!!