This recipe was from the August Cooking Light Magazine. They take 20 minutes to make--from start to finish. The recipe calls for mushrooms, but I never have those "on hand" so I've never put them in...and ain't nobody complaining.Want to know how good they are? Just ask Suz to bear her testimony about them. Seriously, she feels religious about them.
The best part is the dipping sauce. So good. I usually make two batches. One with the Sriracha for Jeff and I and one without any heat for the kids. If you are pretty sensitive to the heat I would start with a 1/2 tsp of the chili sauce and then work your way up. We can take all 2 tspoons but we're pretty hard core like that...
Oh, and PS, I use iceberg lettuce because it only costs 89 cents. The end.
Ingredients
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 3 cups coarsely chopped shiitake mushroom caps (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 1/4 pounds ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions (about 4)
- 1 (8-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 12 Boston lettuce leaves
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha (hot chile sauce, such as Huy Fong)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preparation
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Place mushrooms in a large bowl. Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add turkey, garlic, and ginger to pan; cook 6 minutes or until turkey is browned, stirring to crumble. Add turkey mixture, onions, and water chestnuts to mushrooms in bowl; stir well.
2. Spoon 1/2 cup turkey mixture into each lettuce leaf. Combine hoisin, soy sauce, rice vinegar, Sriracha, and salt in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Serve sauce with lettuce cups.
1 comment:
Oh yeah, just say the magic words "hoisin" and "ground turkey" and it is a keeper recipe. I will avoid the Sriryucka poo poo fong since I sweat while eating Hot Tamales candy.
Post a Comment