Monday, August 9, 2010

Impossible Swiss Chard Pie

I know that you're thinking that Swiss Chard probably isn't for you. You know that it is so good for you, but that it will taste like a dandelion green dipped in petroleum.

Well, think again.

People. It is so good. It is easy to grow. It is easy to harvest. It is easy to incorporate. Anything that you put spinach in...replace it with this and your healthy self will thank you.

I found this recipe in a cookbook from my wonderful friend in Ithaca, New York. Pat LaPoint's family has a blueberry farm and they make a blueberry vinegar and chutney that will send you over the moon for this stuff. I'm sending out this recipe because it is so good and so tasty. I hope that it will teach you to love Swiss Chard.

1/2 pound swiss chard, washed and chopped (remove the stem and give it to your chickens, just use the leaves)
1 cup fat-free sour cream (I used plain nonfat yogurt)
1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
1/2 cup Bisquick baking mix
1/4 cup margarine or butter, melted
2 eggs
1 or 2 tomatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9 inch pie plate. Spread chard in plate. Beat sour cream, cottage cheese, baking mix, margarine and eggs until smooth--15 seconds in blender on high or 1 minute with hand beater. Pour into plate. Top with tomatoes; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake until knife inserted between center and edge comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool 5 minute. 6-8 servings.

No comments: