Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Chicken Coop is Finished!

It's been painted in our garage for three weeks, but we haven't had a chance to put the shingles and roofing materials on it. Jeff finally finished it on Saturday while I wrote a talk for church--

Have I mentioned how awesome Jeff is? Okay, seriously, he built this amazing chicken coop without a plan. I told him how I wanted it to look and he just made it happen. There really isn't anything that he can't do. I am so happy about my chicken house that I almost cried when all of those guys from our neighborhood showed up to help him move it out back.

Oh, and by the way...the chicken coop is going to double as a bomb shelter. Because Mr. Murray doesn't just build stuff in a half-assed fashion. This think could protect Bruce Willis in an episode of Die Hard 12. I'm actually grateful because in about 2 months it is going to be a frozen wasteland in this corner of winter hell and I don't want to have to worry about my precious babies freezing to death. So thank you, babe, for making it absolutely perfect.

And a special thanks to our wonderful friends and neighbors who I love so much...Brett, Steve, Travis, D.A., Eric, Shane...even to Cory, Wyatt, and Brian...who showed up late and didn't have to move anything--I love you anyway for just being willing to come help move something that weighs 600 pounds!
It's fine with me if you want to lay the praise on a little thick here...

The best news of all is that we got our first egg on Monday afternoon. She even laid it in the nesting box! Isn't it just so wonderful?! Jack danced around in the yard and told all of the birds, "they are getting all growed up so big!" Then he ran into the house to tell his dad, "that my chicky laid me an egg!"

I know that my pioneer ancestors are probably rolling over in their graves over the ridiculous-ness that is the laying of an egg, but hey, it is what it is...

Look at how happy that kid is with that little egg. Yeah, for our first success with "Project Urban Chicken" :)

3 comments:

Sara Jane said...

The coop looks awesome! I love the red and white. Jack will have the most exciting week ever if the chickens lay an egg each day. Does it take long for them to produce?

Melanie said...

love the coop

Kristee and Jared said...

Wow! Way to go, Jeff! It looks amazing.