I finally made a decision.
On Saturday, I put all of my baby clothes, bibs, strollers, high chairs, monitors, bottles, changing tables, toddler beds, bedding, burp cloths, and buntings up for sale in my front yard.
Some decisions are not easily made.
I laid in bed for a very long time on Friday morning. Mostly I was contemplating whether or not I was REALLY ready to close the door on a chapter of my life. For as long as I can remember I've always known that eventually I would be a mother--even when I put it in writing about a thousand times that I would not. In some ways, when I finally did decide to become pregnant with Jack, it was literally a concession. I didn't want to do it, but I didn't see any other way.
When we came home from Ukraine without the girls--I've never had such a hole in my heart. It felt like somebody dug a pit and I didn't know how to fill it. Even now, looking back, I know that there are wounds that time will never heal.
But I wanted to fill that hole. I wanted to go back in time and make myself whole again and I knew that the only way to do that was to move forward in the only way possible. And that's why I'll always know that it was a concession.
And my pregnancy was God's way of giving me a good slap in the face for being such a be-yotch about the whole thing.
And the post-partum depression, suicidal thoughts, and Lachlan's severe handicaps were His way of humbling me into absolute submission because I still didn't have it figured out.
And when I pulled all EIGHT of those 50-gallon Rubbermaid tubs off of the storage shelves and started to go through them I just stared at all of it in disbelief--where does the time go?
Another blogger wrote last week about how in the Book of Mormon, Jacob speaks about the experiences of life, "and also our lives passed away like as it were unto us as a dream." I know exactly what he is talking about. It does seem like a dream. The dream of motherhood, where we have the ability to remember only the wonderful moments in the middle of the night when your little baby is sleeping on your chest. It fills all of the empty holes and yet, it threatens to create another one when we try to move on to another phase of life. The one where we trade onesies for training bras and cell phones.
I went piece by piece through every bin. I sorted all the clothing by size. I smelled the special small baby outfits and cried a little when I couldn't detect any of the scent that my subconscious ached to have again, just for a moment.
And then it was okay. Because I know that this hole will be filled with something new. And I will probably love it even more because I will be operating on a full-night's sleep and eventually they will be able to buckle their own seat belts and get their own glass of water--and if it's God's will--even stop peeing the bed.
Even these days will pass by as if in a dream.
I keep coming back to this:
Blood and Milk
By Sharlee Mullins Glenn
I dreamed of Oxford...
(spires, a thousand spires, endless lectures, musty halls
a solitary self in a Bodleian expanse
A good life, my dear Wormood. An orderly life.)
then awakened to laundry
and things to be wiped
(countertops, noses, bottoms)
How did this happen? And when, exactly?
Time flows, it flows, it flows
and there are choices to be made:
left or right?
paper or plastic?
blood or milk?
There's freedom in the bleeding;
bondage in the milk - do not be deceived.
Ah, but it's an empty freedom; a holy bondage,
A sweet and holy bondage.
Five times I chose the chains, those tender chains,
(though once will bind you just as well!)
and checked the crimson flow.
Suckled while dreaming of Trinity Term
but awakened, always awakened, to the laundry
and to that small and cherished captor at my breast.
I love "there are choices to be made". Do you feel it too?
I'm so very, very grateful for the choice I made to yield--to concede. Those were times of bondage that I wouldn't trade, memories to be held in the deepest part of the heart.
And now it it over.
....pause for one more tear.
....then listen for a sigh of relief.
5 comments:
Rose, that really touched my heart. Thanks for sharing!
LOVED this post! I can't wait to have piece about all that stuff. Not quite there.
Also you want to each really good Met. food you need to come visit us. We have some very delicious stuff here OR you could just move here...I think you'd make a fabulous East Coaster...think about it:)
I finally got rid of most all of my stuff last summer when we moved. Very little of it sold in my yard sale, though. I was surprised. I ended up donating the vast majority of it to DI, which is fine. I'm sure it will be put to good use in the humanitarian program. I did move my crib with us, though, but only so I could sell it once we were settled, which I did. After 10 years, it was time. I'd actually gotten rid of most of Amanda's baby clothes after we brought the boys home, so I think that made things a tiny bit easier.
It is a struggle, though! I still find myself wondering what to do with the clothes that Matthew outgrows. I pass Amanda's stuff down to my little neice now, but there's no one to pass Matthew's stuff to.
While I long for the day I can find a doc that will actually do a hysterectomy on me, I can't say I've completely closed the door on ever adopting again. It won't be for awhile, if ever, that we do it, though. Both boys have to be stable for at least 6 months with no attachment regressions before we'll even consider it. We're nowhere close to that. I'm not sure I could go through the whole process again, anyway. I'm not sure I could do (or even risk doing) RAD again. On the other hand, when I see the staggering number of waiting children and remember the faces of the ones we left behind (all of whom have now aged out) I'm not so sure I couldn't.
I made falafel last night using your recipe. YUM-O! Thanks for sharing. I'd made falafel before using a different recipe, but it turned out really flat and dry. This recipe turned out perfect. Next time I'll try baking it instead of frying it, though. I've heard a lot of people like that method better...less time, less calories.
Love it, Rosa.
Amazing post, Rose. I just sent my first baby to middle school today and the melancholy side of myself wanted to break down and morn the loss. Tomorrow I send my fourth and last baby to start half day preschool. I don't know how it will hit me. Relief, or Mourning? It is a dream, both dark and light. Thanks for your thoughts.
Post a Comment