Sunday, December 28, 2008

Boys and Guns

Given my background you would think that this wouldn't bother me so much...but it does. Jack has been given swords, guns and fake ammo by "friends"--these items have (up until now) been banned from the house. I am not a fan of violence--even pretend violence. And yet, despite my efforts, he has found a way to make weapons out of everything. I even caught him "shooting" Lachlan with a plastic alphabet letter. WTH!

Here he is holding her at gunpoint while he steps on her periodically with his shoe. Are you kidding me?

What's a mother to do? I had to make an executive decision. I decided that a foam sword would be less obtrusive than guns--and I saw a bunch of them for $1 at Dollar Land. I figured it was a compromise. He LOVES that sword. He carries it with him all day long. I caught him "riding" the arm of the couch with his sword. He told me, "my go to Seeping Booty castle and get the dragon, otay, mama?!" With only slight alarm I answered, "fantastic, you are Prince Phillip!" He was so proud of his hero status--now armed with a real sword. How could you take that away from a kid??!!

And just for full disclosure, I made Jeff pull over on the way home so that I could buy 4 more swords from Dollar Land. I would hate for him to go to battle without one.

4 comments:

Diana said...

LOL! Boys are strange little creatures, aren't they?? My boy's favorite gun is the curved piece of track that goes to Grandma's "Big Loader Construction Set."

My boys has swords once. Once. That was enough. Even the foamy things are disasters waiting to happen with them!

Enjoy the ride!

Buffy said...

That is so funny. I was the very same way - I tried for a while to keep "weapons" out of our house and out of their play until they learned to find and use other things for guns or swords. Ours started with the foamy bath letter L and hangers.

Sara said...

Now you see what I've been saying for the last 6 years! When you have heard the last gunshot that you can hear for the day, just put the gun in storage, and then the next day do it with another gun and so on and so on, pretty soon they are all down in the basement and then you can bribe your kids... If you are really good today and you promise not to shoot at your sister or the pets, maybe I'll get a gun out for you" And then you can start all over again with the taking away of the guns.

Brooke said...

I know how you feel about the little boy violent tendencies. I think Jack's sword story is very sweet, and you're right, it could be a lot worse than him riding off to save a princess with his trusty sword. At least he doesn't want a semi-automatic weapon or anything. :) I had a friend who had great advice for me. She said that little boys will make anything into guns, whether you allow them in your house or not, so just be glad they are at least being creative when they make a gun out of legos or any other random object in your house...