Sunday, December 28, 2008

The House that Gluttony Built

Aaah, the sin of gluttony. Never was it more apparent than in a child's gingerbread house. We made these prior to the big day. I left them out until 12:01AM on Christmas morning and then I threw them out. They held significantly less candy at the end than in the beginning. I couldn't keep Jack out of it. Stale candy (and even worse, stale candy that has been sitting out in the open air for several weeks) seriously makes me overly nauseated. If I were ever on a show like Fear Factor and they said, "take a bite of this old sour patch kid that has been sitting out for a week and win a million dollars..." well, I could do it for a million dollars but I would be dry-heaving as if it were a rotten pair of socks. At any rate, to note the vast difference in my son, Jack would gobble down that pair of filthy socks and the sour patch kid and then look around to see if any were still hiding underneath the dishwasher.

The spoils.
Lachlan: Living the dream.
Lachlan couldn't understand why I wanted her to put more candy on her house. She put 10 random candies on and then declared "my done now." She then proceeded to eat 2.5 pounds of licorice string.
This is Jack's house. He didn't put one candy on it. Wouldn't even try. Couldn't tear himself away from the Smarties, Neccos and gum drops. Oh, have mercy on us...we go to the dentist in two weeks. If we walk away without silver grills it will be a Christmas miracle. The gingerbread cookie doormen only stood watch for 5-6 days tops--to his credit Jack only ate one of them. Ernst ate the other one in a fit of late night mischief.

This sinner will remain anonymous, but can't you just see the devil smiling.

Jeff missed part of the party. He was trying to finish the tile in our basement. Jack and Lachlan were very excited to show off their creations.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Amazing! I totally dread making those houses--they never stay and the mess--uggh! You are a much better person than I! :)